Chapter 10

Megan

I pulled Jaime off the poor boy's fresh corpse, Jaime clinging to me in response. I led her and the others to an alleyway, Jaime was still crying streams, that boy must've meant a lot to her. I watch and follow as Jaime runs towards the ocean, she's going to fight. I can tell. She ran across the pier and jumped into the water. Even if mom warned us not to go into the water, I can't let my girlfriend do this on her own. Cameron said nothing and neither did Laney as they followed us in. The waves were rapid and forceful. Our bodies began to change, our legs merged together, and our scales began to form in place of our skin. Gills formed on our cheeks and our hands became webbed, and our teeth became fangs. We swam deeper and deeper until the water became black and the howling of Sirens and Mermaids could be heard. The sound of them rushing through the water was extraordinary. I watch in awe as Jaime raised her hands over her head and shouted as she threw her arms forward and froze the water between the two forces solid. The Sirens tried to swim away but Jaime froze the water in front of them, causing them to stop in their tracks. So this is the true power of a hybrid? Damn. I could tell she had given these past two attacks everything she had. Because she was gasping hard for breath.

Jaime

I looked at the hundreds of floating mermaids and Sirens giving hateful glares at each other. Such hate for no reason, it's time to end it. It's time to end this meaningless war.
"Everyone listen up! I need you to stop fighting. It's pointless, and I bet half of you don't even know why you're fighting. I know I don't. So stop! Your fighting over territory that could be solved by peaceful negotiations. We are all beings of water. Sirens and Mermaids can live together, they can love each other. . I'm living proof of that. I'm the first and only hybrid to exist as both a mermaid and a Siren. But you can't love each other if you keep hatred in your heart. Especially hatred that has no reason behind it. So I ask both the Sirens and the Mermaids, please stop the fighting. Forgive each other, accept each other, love each other," I beg, pouring all my emotions into those words. And even though the sirens were responsible for Johnny's death, I'm going to let it pass. If I want peace, it'd be hypocritical if I let hate into my heart.
I watch as all the Sirens and Mermaids looked at each other. As if saying, is this ok?
Then something remarkable happened, they all bowed to each other. The ultimate sign of respect. Then to my shock, they all turned and bowed to me.
"Congrats, you just single handily ended a war," Laney laughed as she hugged me then let go.
"She's cool like that," Megan agreed as she kissed my cheek.
"Good job," Cameron smiled.
"Thanks but I don't deserve any of the applause," I reply and Megan chuckled knowingly as she slung her arm around my shoulder.
"You're such a hippy. Preaching love and peace," Kayla teased.
"Maybe," I agree.