Chapter 19

Megan

I gazed out from the Florida beach, looking to my right then to my left, seeing every mermaid, every siren, every water spirit, everyone and anyone who could fight in the water gathered as far as the eye could see. Me and Jaime's family were in charge of the entire Atlantic invasion from the US, and Cameron and our family were in charge of the Pacific invasion forces. This is gunna be the biggest invasion in the history of the earth, and one of the bloodiest battles in the history of both humans and Paranormals, and everyone here knew it. Including the largest fleet, the humans could muster throughout the world. Everything from aircraft carriers, battleships, to the best submarines had been summoned. The countless telepathic Paranormals were in charge of communication throughout everyone, and everything else was on us. I don't know, something about knowing the fate of the world rests on your shoulders is kinda relaxing, cuz if you fuck it up you won't be there to be blamed, nor will anyone else for that matter.....well minus the Atlanteans. I sighed deeply, inhaling and exhaling very slowly.
"This is it," I muttered and yet I felt the telepaths spreading my thought and the air felt still, time seemed to have been stopped. No one budged, I felt all the seriousness from. Everyone as if it was my own, I felt their power resonating with each other, and with me. If there ever was a more appropriate time to use the term YOLO, I'm not sure when'd be. Cuz, to be honest...........fuck it. I dove in, my tail merging from my legs, and I saw the bubbles from everyone else's doing the same, our more powerful water magic users stayed farther back behind us, casting protective water fields around the human vessels and the mer that were leading the charge. Despite the power our forces brought into this fight, the water still seems like it felt, I dunno......toxic. I had hoped that our presence here would purify the oceans, but it made sense sadly too......the Atlanteans had been here first, and we were cast out of our home, and yet their hate, their greed, their power, all of it had polluted the oceans to what felt like an unfixable point.
"Damn them......," I hissed and then stopped. I can see it, way off in the distance, at least a couple hundred miles in front of us. It massive, in every sense of the word, and even then the word itself didn't seem to do Atlantis' size justice.
"Wow, you brought everyone to the party didntcha?!" I sensed Evil Jaime laugh, and I whirled around, more laughing. Telepathy, clever.
"You'd be amazed what a world in peril can do," I chuckled back and that's when I saw a wall of Atlanteans in front of us.....lining and backing each other, so they're playing it that way......we'll have to get through layer by layer.......what a pain! Watching further I noticed they'd formed a sphere around Atlantis, meaning we can't flank. We have to go straight through.
"I can see that. Still, do you think it'll be enough to reclaim your home?" She taunted and I shrugged.
"Who knows?" I answered back and outstretched my arms to my right and left and clenched my arms into fists and swirled them around in a circular motion as fast as I could and kept doing so even after I felt a substantial cyclone around each arm, and then blasted both of them forward, and I felt torpedoes and water magic whizz last me and create a stunning light show of destruction in front of us. The Atlanteans charged and blasted us with a massive wave of water, and our shields dwindled but held, and I conjured two water swords and swam into the biggest fight of my entire life. I grunted as I clashed with a mer wielding a battle ax, I heard the rushing of water as Magic users clashed, massive shockwaves of water smashed into us, yet our blades met again and again. I swirled around just in times to behead an incoming mermaid trying to stab me with a dagger. I blocked the battle ax girl from before and swam sideways and chopped off her arm and used my tail to knock her back into two more mer, two more torpedoes whizzed past me and were instantly deflected back at us by four mermaids using a water barrier, and I grabbed them using my webbing and yanked them back in a half circle motion toward six mermaids and they were obliterated in the explosion, I heard the clanking of metal, and I looked up momentarily to see a massive aircraft carrier release a huge amount of manned mini-subs, they looked like underwater fighter jets, "Well ain't that something," I half grinned as I swam in a circular motion and used my magic to create a water shockwave behind me that shot me towards the Atlanteans, and I broke through their defensive, and another several mermaids got through with me.
"Begone pests!" Evil Laney shouted and blasted us back with a wave of water, and three of us deflected it and then redirected back at her, yet she created a spinning water shield in front of her that resolved the attack. But I slammed my blade into her shield from above, she blocked and I followed up seconds later with a blast of water to her chest and she was sent flying backward into a column of Atlantis.
"COME ON!!!!!" I shouted and I heard her growl with frustration as she threw a bunch of water knives at me, I dropped my swords and created my own shield, that blocked while simultaneously sending blasts of water back. She tore through it with her bare hands and tackled me further into the depths. Jamie's mother ripped evil Laney off me and smashed her head into her tail, and I grabbed her by the waist and threw her through an underwater canyon, "Thanks for that!" I panted and she nodded and we swam our own ways, conjuring a harpoon I hurled it through an evil mer while a siren screamed at her and her head blew apart, and then the siren and me clasped hands and we spun each other in the opposite directions me clotheslining a mermaid before swimming behind her and snapping her neck. The water felt cleaner despite the amount of scarlet in it. Suddenly everyone froze after we heard the roar of Atlantis' secret weapon, Johnny. And he charged at us, ripping through a nuclear submarine like it was paper, his water magic effortlessly contained the nukes that exploded. We stared in awe however as he smashed head first into an invisible wall, and I looked to my far right and saw Jaime glaring at him, and a column Shot from Jaime's shield and knocked Johnny through an underwater volcano. And like that the two most powerful creatures in Earth's waters engaged and our forces clashed with the forces of Atlantis once more. I hissed as I felt the water constantly in flux, making movement difficult. Spinning in a tornado like manner I hurled a barrage of Spears at the Atlanteans, and boosted a bunch of underwater fighter's water shields, as they lit up the layers of Atlanteans warriors. Hearing the howl of the Leviathan as he crashed into an underwater canyon, and Jaime tried to bombard the ancient city with massive waves, and yet Johnny's magic protected it.
"Top floor of the main castle," a voice shouted in a rushed tone. Looking around for the source of the voice with a flinch, I dodged an incoming water blast and dispersed it before it hit another submarine, these human machines are putting in a lot of work, and we can't afford to lose one of our only effective weapons so soon into the fight.
Suddenly I hear a massive ping, like that of huge sonar machine. And I saw all the submarines above us lining up horizontally and holding their positions. They're gunna fire all at once.......that's too risky. If they deflect it, we're out.
"What are they doing?" I called back to our telepaths, "Tell them to back off, we can't risk them deflecting that much of an attack!" That'd be such a dumb idea, only humans could've come up with it.
Johnny swam towards the preparing subs and Jaime screamed and it shook the whole battle zone, knocking Johnny back far.
"Your fights with me," she hissed and the ocean vibrated harshly.
"KEEP PUSHING!!" She shouted and I heard the dropping of metal and looking up I saw them dropping massive mines into the water, and they sank rapidly from the huge warships on the surface. Suddenly I heard the vibrations from a power source on the other side of Atlantis and I swear I saw Cam and on the other side. Some Atlanteans diverged from our side to fight Cam's oncoming forces. The water magic combined with the now detonating mines from before sent shockwave after shockwave through the water, preceded only by bright lights. Using my water magic I and several others forced the explosion towards the Atlanteans, and they swam away and back almost instantaneously. Not wasting this golden opportunity I swam towards them and threw water-made harpoons at them, killing some of them as they swam away with their backs turned to me.
"FORWARD!" Several voices shouted, and I felt as well as heard many upon many noises of propellers or tails shooting all our allies forward. The enemy's first layer had been broken through, but I and the others were immediately met by massive blasts of water magic. Knowing I'm not strong enough to stop it, I deflected it back at several other evil mer, though the sheer force of deflecting the impact shoved me backward and I felt a stone pillar break as my back went into it and I coughed up blood. Looking up I saw at least five Atlanteans floating lifelessly and others swimming away rapidly with broken limbs.
"Worth it," I coughed weakly and kicked off the rock and swam towards the fight once more. Looking around as I re-engaged, I noticed despite our healers and protectors, we are dropping like flies down here. Jamie's too busy with Johnny, and the Atlanteans are too strong even with Cam's sudden reinforcements. We're not making enough headway here. Hissing with annoyance I grabbed the shaft of the spear that almost ran me through from behind with my left hand and yanked it forward, elbowing the wielder, and they let go and I swam behind them and shoved it through her lower chest and into a pile of coral.
"We're not gunna get close enough to the city let alone the top floor," I muttered as Cam swam beside me and we looked from afar at the continuing war in front of us.
"We can't pull back though, this is it. There was no backup plan if this doesn't work,"
"Let us in," Miles requested telepathically, and I traced his voice back to the aircraft carrier directly above us, along with everyone else we'd fought beside back when we were invading the world leader's peace summit.
"How? You can't breathe or function down here!" I replied as I dodged another spear.
"Pull a Moses," he said back and I And Cam froze.
"As in split the ocean?"
"Yeah!"
"The only one who could even attempt something like that is Jaime," Cam shouted back disarming a mer with a sword.
"Then get her to do it," he suggested hurriedly
"I'm a little preoccupied at the moment Miles," Jaime grunted as she literally wrestled the Leviathan. Suddenly I and Cam stopped, and Kayla did too as I found her bobbing next to us. There, before us were our evil doppelgängers....all except evil Jaime, Evil Cameron, and Evil me. the two of them had been killed by Jaime back at the UN conference attack, and evil Jaime is at the top of Atlantean palace....
"Hey J, they're here...," I mumbled and I heard her gasp in my mind.
"Megan run! Get away!"
"Can't. There's no turning back now. That said, I'm pretty sure this is it for us. So just wanted to let you know, in case I die that I truly and completely love you...," I whispered and I mentally saw Jaime's lip quiver. There was silence around us, despite the underwater battle raging on.
Then suddenly as if a spark had been ignited, they charged us and us, them. This is it.
Evil Laney punched at where my head had been and I ducked and flipped her over me, and Kayla punched her so hard she spun as Kayla sped past her and tackled evil her.
I felt the rush of the Leviathan as he sped past me and tried to tailwhip me but was blocked by Jaime, "You've got greater Magic than me, but you lack strength in physical combat," I grinned as I caught her punch and head-butted her, she growled with frustration as she wiped some blood from her nose. Out of nowhere, I saw a triangularly shaped formation of the human fighters zoom past me and blew through a wall of Atlanteans like it was nothing, which is most likely because they caught them off-guard. The subs were still lined up like they were gunna fire everything, and as a result, I found myself secretly praying that they didn't.
I was literally knocked from my thought process when evil Laney tackled me from behind.
Elbowing her in the face before she ran me through with her knife, I caught the knife and spun so I faced her and drove it through her lower chest, she wailed with pain and yanked it out as I attempted to follow fighters that made it through, and succeeded but evil Laney was hot on my tail, and I glanced back just for a second and saw a girl who looked a lot like our Laney snap evil her's neck as she zoomed past her. As a result, a medium sized vibration was sent through the water, and evil Kayla focused all her attention solely on the girl I'm pretty sure is Laney, who was zooming towards Cam, and just as she swam past my sister, Cam close lined evil Kayla. And Kayla and our mother swam down from diagonally above from the right and charged evil Kayla into a pillar of rock, and evil Kayla put up a massive water shield to hold back the onslaught of Jaime's dad, mother, And Kayla. We're finally taking the offensive.......yes!
I continued into the almost silent waters with the fighters and casting a shield over all of them.
"Top floor right?" A human asked in my mind.
"Yeah, be ready for a hard fight though. The Atlantean up there is the strongest out of the five," I replied grimly.
Johnny roared with rage and bit into Jaime's left shoulder, creating a blanket of scarlet and she screamed but blast him back almost a mile down.
"DICK MOVE JOHNNY!" She shouted angrily and I swam sideways turning on my side as an axe whizzed past me but using my webbing I caught it and spun into back at the mer, cutting her head clean off.
"Alrighty guys, let's show this evil bitch what she made possible," I grinned as I zoomed past the fighters, Conjuring a shield and sword, "Also! HUMANS IF THERE WAS EVER A TIME TO LET ALL HELL LOSE THIS IS IT! Magic caster back them up, this is the climax," I ordered, surprised by my own authority.
"Understood!"
"Gotcha!"
"Hell Yeah!"
"Let's go!"
I heard the roar of the dragons, the booming of the human torpedoes, the whizzing of water magic, all of it from everyone created a huge shockwave as our weapons soared towards the city, and I stopped when I saw our remaining doppelgängers disengaging with our forces and zoom past everything and put up a water barrier between everything we were sending.......they can't deflect it! They can only block!
"I'm so sick of this shit!" Laney roared with rage and tackled evil Kayla into the abyss, sinking her above average fangs into her neck and the next thing I saw was only scarlet clouds, suddenly the water barrier fell, and our combined attack lit up the dark abyss Atlantis came from, the shockwave of power this time put all others to shame. I cast a water shell around me and I was still thrown through the wall of a sunken ship with enough force I felt like a rag doll. When I finally felt myself blinking away both the pain and the dust, I was in shock.
"No way.....," Atlantis was still there completely unharmed, despite most of their forces being down for the count, ours too for that matter. Only evil Jaime remained, and I wanted evil Jaime dead, but I wanted to be the one to do it. Jaime had obviously planned on taking out her evil half by herself, but she's too busy with Johnny, so it's up to us.
"You wanna take on my daughter's evil twin you're gunna need that. It negates low and mid-tier water magic,"
"Where'd you get a weapon like this?" I ask in awe as I admired its beauty, and he grinned.
"You mer have your secrets and us sirens have ours. Now go, you guys have to take her out before Jaime can stop fighting Johnny,"
"Yeah, good luck!"
"Likewise," he lazily saluted and swam away, just in time for me to see the siren queen do a siren's screech, the pure power of her attack created an underwater tornado with her mouth as the source, and the churning water obliterated the mer caught in its path, their bodies exploded from the raw force of the scream. The thing sounded like a series of sonar pings on the most powerful of steroids.
"C'mon Megan we gotta end this!" Kayla nodded towards Atlantis as she patted my back.
"Yeah, you're right, this war needs to end," The route to Atlantis was completely unguarded, didn't feel like a trap though. More like each side was still fighting each other with what measly forces they had left, and there just happened to have been an opening. There weren't any Atlanteans anywhere in sight, so it's just a straight shot from where we were to the top floor. Glancing up, I saw the sunlight and I bit my lip. Damn, we're cutting this close.
Blowing down the door with water magic, I was immediately met with an invisible wave of power from evil Jaime. Her max strength is about the same as Jaime's was, back when we fought the sirens......which is a problem. Because combined we're maybe about 2/3rds that, and what she can do is high tier magic, which the Trident can't negate. Shit.
"You guys put up a valiant effort, I'll give you that. But you four are too weak to kill me. I'm still raising Atlantis, holding off all your forces from damaging my home, and fueling My pet's power, all by myself. You four are worn out, weakened, and outmatched, we all know how that'll go if we do this,"
"Yeah, still gotta all the same," Laney shrugged and evil Jaime chuckled softly.
"Do what you must,"
Before any of us even made a move, Miles and the dragons entered and so did the Siren Queen, the queen shouted at Evil Jaime, and I hurled the trident at her, which she deflected easily, just in time to knock away water blasts from Kayla and Cameron but completely missed the full body tackle Laney was going for. Laney must be like me then, more a physical attacker rather than a mystical one. Using spells primarily for defensive rather than offense.
Laney was quickly thrown off and towards us, using my webbing I caught her and yanked her out of the way of more oncoming spells, which knocked evil Jaime through a wall due to their combined strength. I heard Evil Jaime growl with anger and Atlantis shuddered for a bit and we felt it slow down. I caught an Incoming harpoon right before it pierced a dragon's side, and it dissolved back into the normal water. The fighters were lighting up the city itself, trying to destroy as much of it as possible. Conjuring a duel ended spear, I swam alongside Laney, who had conjured longer claws. I heard a roar behind me and when I turned I saw a dragon's lower body sinking away from its lifeless upper body. Growling I shot after her as she darted all around the city until Laney cut her off tackling her through an arch, evil Jaime blasted her away though she was immediately caught by Cam. Kayla limited our opponent's movements with a hailstorm of water magic, and I chased as Laney and Cam tried to block off exits. Good news is she's not fighting back anymore, but the new problem is though she's too fast to catch. I covered my ears as a wail from the siren queen knocked our enemy through a wall, and I threw the Trident again, barely missing her head, and right as the trident returned to my hand I felt myself flying backward off the edge of the city, before stopping myself from going any further, I zoomed after her. Our and Jaime's mother created a water barrier that evil Jaime face planted into but it immediately shattered due to the Atlantean's magic being stronger. Though it did buy just enough seconds for Cam and Laney to tackle her and hold her down, I ran the trident through her neck. There was silence, complete and utter silence as her head drifted upwards, while her body stayed pinned to the column. Time seemed to stand still until I heard a second light thud and looking around I saw Cam's body covered in.......scarlet. I was by her side in a second, though just in time to see our mother and Jaime's dad thudding against the ground too. Laney looked barely alive herself.
"How'd this happen?" I choked out and Cam chuckled weakly.
"The evil bitch used the last of her magic to harm us as much as she could at the last second. Apparently, she didn't wanna go alone,"
"We'll tough shit, you all aren't going," I shook my head furiously looking from Cam to Laney and my mom.
"I don't want to, but I don't have a choice,"
"Jaime can heal you, right Jaime?" I asked frantically as Jaime appeared next to me.
"I'm too weak right now. Taking on Johnny took too much out of me. I'm so sorry," Jaime whispered as she knelt next to me.
"Hey, it's.....," Cam coughed, "It's not your fault. You did it! You saved our home. We knew what we were signing up for, right Mom?" Cam grinned over weakly at our mother who was being held tightly by the siren queen, "It's impossible to get something like this victory without sacrifice,"
"But you guys aren't something I can sacrifice," I cried back and Cam laughed weakly and smiled.
"It wouldn't be sacrifice if you could give it up willing....it'll be ok Megan. The day is won, we got our home back, saved the world, defeated our enemies.....we won. In....," Cam took a breath but she only had seconds left, "I just......I just really love you. And...I don't wanna.......I don't wanna g...g....go......," Cam's final words shook my very being, and I heard nothing but the sound of my crying for my big sister's sacrifice. My mom's ultimate contribution and I looked at Laney who simply laid down next to Cam's still warm body, holding it until she too slowly stopped breathing as well.
I clung to Jaime, and I felt her hold me back tighter than ever. Jaime's free hand holding her dad's as she too cried.
"This victory was too heavy to be called a win," a voice muttered quietly as footsteps could be heard behind us. I looked up, barely seeing Johnny's calm face through my tears.
He sat down against a wall with a tired sigh. He didn't say anything else for what felt like a very long time, "Jaime, Megan. Everyone....thank you. For freeing me. Now I can do what I promised I would," he sniffled and with a wave of his hand, everyone minus those that had died, Jaime, me, the siren Queen, and Jaime's Mom disappeared.
"Where'd you send them?"
"Surface. You guys should wait out in the open ocean while I do this. I want you guys here with me in my final moments. Sorry for being selfish, but I don't wanna be alone," he muttered.
"Final moments....what are you talking about?" Jaime asked with a sniffle and some tears.
"You freed my spirit. The Atlantean bound my spirit to this body after the war with the sirens, but she's dead So I can pass on now. I'm no longer tied to this plane. What you're seeing now is nothing more than my after image. I have just enough power to destroy Atlantis before it sinks, causing the ocean to wipe out most of the surface world,"
Jaime said nothing, and I realized it wasn't calmness that was on his face earlier, it was peacefulness, he is at peace.
I found myself and with Jaime and Johnny a few miles above Atlantis.
"Goodbye Johnny," I gulped as I hugged him and so did Jaime.
"Goodbye, guys imma miss you all,"
"Us too," I smiled through my sadness.
We watched in awe as Johnny snapped his fingers and there was a silent shockwave, and a sudden flash of light and Atlantis was blown into a thousand tiny pieces, that I'm assuming Jaime turned into bubbles before they reached us. I watched as they floated upwards then popped right before reaching the surface. Johnny didn't even look back as he himself dissolved into the ocean silently. That's it......it's over. It's all really over.......
"It's not Megan. We still have the rest of our lives to fill. It's not over yet because it can't be," Jaime said softly as she hugged me tightly.