Chapter 21

12 Years Later

Toa

   "Toa time for school!" Mom called up and I nodded.
    "I know!" I called back, applying my last bit of eyeliner.
    "What's keeping you from coming then?!" Momma shouted.
    "Nothing!" I called back as I grabbed my bag and bolted down the stairs. Hugging my parents, I grabbed the toast they'd made for me and ate it as I jumped in the water and commanded the waves to surf me to the shore. Landing on the dry land, I sighed happily as I patted some sand off my dress. Perks of being the daughter of the Oceans, I don't get wet. Yay.
I saw Abigail waiting for me, her car passenger door open for me. Hopping in, I grinned at her, throwing my bag in the back seat.
    "What's new Abi?"
    "Nothin much. Same life different day,"
    "I gotcha. Anything fun happen on your date with George?" I smiled and she laughed as she pulled away from the curb.
    "Define fun? Human fun? Or our kinda fun?"
    "Fun is fun," I shrugged indifferently.
    "Ah, is it now?" She nodded sarcastically.
    "It is, so spill? You two kiss?" I winked and she looked me dead in the eye.
    "We had sex," and I blinked and my mouth hit the floor it felt like, and then five seconds Abi busted out laughing, "Only kidding. Nah, we just went to see a movie then I went home. He didn't try anything, maybe he was intimidated by my being a vampire? Who knows?"
    "I do. You are not intimidating at all. He was probably trying to prove to you that he wasn't just trying to get inside your pants,"
    "Good, cuz these are expensive pants," Abigail grinned gesturing to her leather leggings.
    "I don't doubt it," I laughed.
    "Still though, I appreciated him not trying anything. Says a lot about who he is,"
    "He's bold for one, tryna date a vampire as a human,"
    "Maybe, but it is a brave new world Toa, we don't have to live in the shadows of myth and legends anymore,"
    "True. Which is good, cuz I need my sun,"
Abigail made a turn onto the main road.
    "I still can't believe the humans welcomed us with open arms for the most part. Like, I don't know, I thought after Atlantis things would be more hostile," Abi shrugged.
    "My Parents said that back then, they fought side by side with the humans. So, they didn't immediately turn on us paranormals then. And a lot of time has passed from then, so it makes sense that things got more stable. And in a good way. Humans got a chance to truly see how we operate, and we ended up being able to coexist with them for the most part," I answered.
    "Speaking of coexistence, how does it feel to be a purely straight mermaid? I'm told that's rare,"
    "My parents were surprised. But didn't really care to be honest. It's like the reverse of coming out. So it feels normal from my point of view, but weird when I think about it from a historical standpoint,"
    "I could see that,"
    "Yeah," I nod.
    "Yet still no boyfriend huh?"
    "Nope. Haven't met the right guy yet,"
    "When you find him, how's that gunna work?"
    "What you mean?"
    "I mean didn't mer used to drown and eat humans?"
    "Ok um A, we quit that and resorted to eating animal meat. And B, we prefer the ocean but are quite capable of living on land,"
    "Ok ok, touchy!" Abi laughed and I glared at her.
    "Don't you vamps still suck human blood?"
    "Nah fam, we used to steal blood packs. Now we buy them or use animals. Gotta say though, we kept the part about sucking a bit of our future partner's blood should they get approved by our clan. It's like our wedding night tradition,"
    "Sounds painful," I unintentionally winced rubbing my neck.
    "It's painful for the first four seconds. Then it feels blissful to both partners, so I'm told,"
    "Ok then," I nodded uncomfortably.
    "You mer got traditions too right?"
    "Uhhmmm not really, we kinda just go," I smiled awkwardly.
    "Huh, didn't know that,"
    "Now you do,"
    "No shit,"
    "Oi, focus on the road," I pointed at the now green light, and Abi turned left into a neighborhood road then made a right into the school parking lot.
    "So how bout it Toa?"
    "How bout wha?" I asked grabbing my bag.
    "What is it like? Being one of the first children of the new world?"
    "I don't know man, hopeful I guess. Kinda stressful, the whole the world rests on your shoulders now thing. But it is also freeing, knowing that the worlds consequences are directly dependent on my actions. Makes me feel important, in control,"
    "I bet, especially since your basically royalty in both our worlds. I mean your mothers are basically the rulers of the world's oceans!"
    "That's another thing! I don't like people seeing my title before seeing me," I frowned.
    "Oh your gunna be one of those people," Abi spoke with a sarcastic tone of disgust and I glared at her.
    "Damn straight,"
    "Alright pouty princess,"
    "Oi! Watch it!" I pointed at her and she held her hands up in a surrendering manner.
    "Consider me warned,"
    "Good. But yeah, plus, you're just as old as me. The hell you on about, asking me about being a child of the new world. You are too doofus!"
    "Yeah, but it's not the same. You're iconic,"
    "I don't wanna be,"
    "Doesn't matter,"
    "Whatever," I sighed as we stood in front of the high school doors, "Let's go get some boys," I joked.
    "You mean learn," Abi laughed as she corrected me.
    "I know what I said," I nodded and kicked Open the doors and walked Inside Newfound senior high school. Paranormals future, humanity future, the worlds future, my future, they all look very bright. And I won't let this world down. Watch out, everyone! I got one hell of a show for you.