Chapter 13

Kayla

    I watched my sister and her friends leave Miles' house, sighing deeply.

   "you made the right choice K," my lover said, obviously trying to comfort me.

   "she trusts me when she shouldn't," I began to cry.

   "Hey, Kayla. Look at me," he said lifting my chin up so I met his gaze.

   "she doesn't know we stand no chance.....that we're gunna die," I clung to him and he chuckled.            "what?" I asked through my sniffles.

   "you said you were gunna die. You're funny, look Kayla I can't help you in the seas, but here on land.....you got more support than you think," I look up at him and wipe some tears from my eyes.

   "what do you mean?"

   "well, other species have been watching your sister and her friends, and they've been moved and impressed. To be blunt, they're rooting for you because they want you and the others to win. Plus, you know how humans band together when it counts most? That's one trait that we paranormals share with them, and the rise of Atlantis threatens us all,"

   "I......I didn't know,"

   "come on Kyla, I wanna show you something," Miles gestured after him as he walked away into a dark room. I sighed and hesitantly followed him until I only saw his dark figure in front of four dimly lit blank screens.

   "what is this?" I asked quietly still in awe as Miles hit a few buttons and the four screens became occupied with four faces.

   "Hey guys, I want to introduce you to Kayla, the mer sister of Jaime,"

   "Um, hello...," I muttered and waved slightly at the screens.

   "Hey Kayla, heard a lot of about you, I'm Kendrick leader of the Moon raider vampires,"

   "Ryan, leader of the Silver Fang werewolf pack,"

   "Kaiden leader of wind spirits,"

   "Alice, Leader of the rogue dragons,"

   "Dragons?!"

   "your sister inspirers, what can I say?" Alice laughs.

   "needless to say, you got my group behind you too,"

   "man, I regret sending Jaime away now,"

   "be that as it may, we have bigger problems. Our sources say that the leading Atlantean clan members have awoken the rest of Atlantis. It's currently a third of the way up the ocean and rising steadily, unchallenged. We need forces in the water slowing that progress. If that doesn't happen, this world is gonna end," Kaiden says.

   "not to de-escalate the situation, but why is it always the end of the world with these kinds of threats? Why can't it be minor?" Ryan asks in a slightly whiny voice.

   "cuz humanities' luck is shit," Kendrick chuckles and the others actually nodded in agreement with laughs, such a morbid sense of humor.

   "you know this means we're gunna have to reveal our identities to the humans, right?" Miles asked and the others nodded.

   "you'll need proof, or they'll laugh in your face," I spoke up, "Besides, we'd need to get it directly to a top-tier authority,"

   "like a general?" Kaiden asks and Alice shook her head no.

   "you mean like at the UN conference in two days, don't you?" Alice asked knowingly.

   "Yeah, the problem is getting in. whoever gets past the guards is going to be seen as a threat," Kendrick sighs irritably and there were murmurs of agreement.