Prolougue || Goodbye

(No pov)
Part of this chapter was inspired by a song (Goodbye - Bo Burnham)
!!Mentions of kidnapping. Blood, and Death!!

The sky was pitch black, the clouds covered the stars that were too afraid to shine, too afraid to alert the city for what they were about to discover.

Heroes and villains, they obviously didn't get along. But this night, one wanted to make a mark that would forever taint the history of this strange society.

Along the eerily empty streets of the outskirts of downtown, near the big factories that covered the sky in thick smoke on certain days, was a warehouse, a steel warehouse with a glass roof that was missing a few panes, where all the best villains hatch an evil plan.

Muffled screams echoed inside the large warehouse, followed by quiet giggles. The current top hero was tied to a chair, the world had been panicking over the disappearance of the beloved hero, Zero, for the past two days.

Zero's chair was bolted into the center of the wide room, an ominously heavy door was far in front of them, and the glass ceiling above did not help their growing fear.

The hero had a black hoodie with armour underneath on, they had flexible pants that were designed to look like jeans, and black combat boots. Their hood was normally pulled over their head but tonight, it wasn't, their short, blonde hair was a mess and their pointed ear twitched in fear. They had a black face-mask on, and dark sunglasses, but you could still see their yellow eyes darted around the room.

Zero had normally fought with a metal axe that also worked like a boomerang, it helped a lot considering their ability to control lightning, thunder, and electricity. But their kidnapper had taken it away from them.

A sound of humming echoed through the halls outside the heavy metal door, Zero screamed again, their eye's watering, they didn't want to die but they knew it was going to happen.

"Am I going crazy?"

The voice echoed in a sing-song tone, Zero shook, the voice was creepy and slow, it was unsettling and just proved the theory of death above Zero's head.

"Would I even know?"

It said, the doors slowly creaked open on rusted hinges, Zero shrieked as they recognized themself standing in the doorway. That alone confirmed their theory, they were dying tonight.

"Am I right back where I started all those years ago?"

Shift was creepily stalking towards Zero, their boots clicking snd scraping against the hard concrete, the familiar axe swinging freely from their hand, the bloodstained blade worried Zero more than their own approaching death.

"Wanna guess the ending?"

Shift was now a few feet away from them, giggling at the clearly scared hero.

"If it ever does?"

Shift was now directly in front of Zero, a look of pure insanity and joy glistened in Shift's eyes as- Zero assumed- they smiled. Zero bit back a sob of fear as Shift giggled again before their expression and tone changed completely.

"I swear to god that all I ever wanted was."

Their tone was angry now, growling at an unknown person. Shift circled Zero as the hero sobbed, tears splattering on the ground. Like my blood. They thought.

"A little bit of everything all of time."

Step. Scrape. Shuffle. Sob. Step. Scrape. Shuffle. Sob. Sniff. Whisper.