Chapter Six || Tech Labs and Sneaking Out

(No pov)

Wilbur stood outside on the sunset painted streets, he sighed from exhaustion, he'd caught a few criminals and had helped investigate some open cases.

It'd been a long day, over all, and on top of that he couldn't stop worrying about Tommy no matter what he did, the idea of Tommy being Mellohi appeared in his head multiple times, but he immediately shoved those thoughts away as soon as they appeared.

So here he was now, waiting for the arrival of his father and brother in a bright street beside the colourful park of vivid flowers, tall trees, and sparkling blue ponds with a temple that was now a museum in the center of the park.

Soon enough he heard the faint clicks of armoured boots and the scuffs of agility shoes. Wilbur turned to see Techno and Phil approaching from a few feet away.

Wilbur walked towards them with with a small wave, they were early to their patrol- or were they late? He hadn't checked a clock in a while so they could be on time for all he knew.

Wilbur waved a greeting, "Where's patrol today?" He asked upon meeting them in the centre of the sidewalk.

"Around the Science and Tech Laboratory on Prime Street, there's some suspicious activity going on there apparently." Phil explained before pointing north of them, "Warden doesn't want anyone stealing his work." Techno added before turning and walking across the road, in the direction of the Tech Lab.

Phil quickly followed him with Wilbur trailing behind, Siren spared a final glance at the vibrant park before catching up with them.

After a ten minute walk, the three reached Prime street. The street was dark now and was absolutely silent, which was unnatural for a large, busy city like Essempi.

The trio quietly walked up and down the street and occasionally into the alleyways, their silent voices whispered conversations across the street. It was an uneventful patrol so far.

"I'm surprised it's so quiet tonight." Phil started after another hour passed, "Since crime's been picking up more lately and this is a busy street, I'm surprised that nothing's really happened yet." He continued and looked around the street.

It was silent for a second, before Techno spoke up. "I agree. But it does have higher security over here." Techno pointed out, "There's Powered security guards and constant heroes patrolling over here, it's not much of a surprise." He said and glanced behind himself.

"Hm, perhaps." Phil muttered, "It feels... wrong either way." The trio fell silent again, focusing more on looking around and keeping their ears open rather than talking about strange occurrences.

They were just passing the Tech Lab when Wilbur noticed something strange.

The Tech Lab was a tall building, roughly seven floors, with too many securely locked and reinforced windows and one set of thick, metal doors for the entrance. The building itself was made of grey concrete and practically radiated coded power.

It was a boring building to the eye, but the amount of electricity and importance it let off made you think otherwise. Yet in one of the windows, Wilbur thought he could see a flashing light in the dark building.

He stopped in his tracks and squinted at the light coming from the fourth floor, and sure enough, it there and bright.

"Uh, guys?" Wilbur asked hesitantly, "Do you see that?" He pointed at the window. Techno and Phil looked up to the window and soon saw the flashes.

Green, white, blue, yellow, red, green.

"What the..." Techno said with confusion in his voice, "The Lab's supposed to be closed right now, did someone leave machine on?" Phil asked as he squinted at the light.