Chapter 20

It was a normal working afternoon like always with humans endlessly seen performing their various tasks and assignments. Like the rest of them, Kay was currently in her four-man office, mind buried deep in thoughts as she typed away on her keyboard trying to meet up on the presentation of a report which would be due in an hour. Her supervisor Mr. Maxwell had been nice enough to grant her little passes here and there while she took care of Layla but there were some things even he couldn't overlook.

      "I knew it would be on TV!" The black-haired female exclaimed with her eyes glued to the television.

  "what's that Anna?" Another female questioned

"The engagement of Xaviar and Sophia "  Anna replied as she headed over to pick up the remote from Mr. Maxwell's desk.
She increases the volume to enable her curious colleague to listen to the news.

     "I can't believe he is getting married again and it's not to me " the latter feigned sadness

"I know right" Anna chuckled at her words when she glanced at a busy Kay

   "Kay, he was married to your friend right?"

  "Huh?" Kay's reply was short and distorted as she continued with what had her attention

      "Xaviar, you're friends with his ex-wife right"

     "ya"

"their marriage must be over for him to announce his engagement " these words were enough to redirect the busy female's attention

       "he's getting married?" With shock evident in her tune, she tries to make out what Anna had been blabbing all along.

"Yea, it's on TV" the other female replied, pointing at the television

     Her eyes quickly read through the caption as she listens to the heavy words of the newscaster, unfortunately, seconds later, she had switched to another entertainment news.

    "here, it's on Instagram also" Anna hands her phone over to Kay as more proof.

Kay shook her head in disbelief as the depth of this story sunk into her. Xaviar was getting married to his mistress and they were expecting a baby together. He had shamelessly taken to Instagram to post such, not taking into consideration how Layla would feel if she saw it.

Layla

Her best friend's name flashed through her mind and her eyes grew bigger.

She would see this.
She pulls out her iPhone, immediately dialing Layla's number, once, twice, with each call going straight to voice mail.
"here" Quickly pushing back her chair, she stands and hands over the phone back to Anna

"Tell Supervisor I had to go home. It's an emergency" the words rush out as she dashes out of the office.

She had to get home at that moment, there was every possibility Layla had seen the post, and knowing the state she was in, she could take drastic decisions.
  Just as the vehicle roars to life, she places a call to Layla's mother who picked up after the third beep

"hey mum"

"How are you dear and how is Layla?" The middle-aged woman spoke

"Xaviar's getting married mom, I just found out. "

"What? How's my daughter?"

"I'm on my way home right now, I called her prior but it didn't go through "

"Do you think she has seen it?" Kay could sense the fear coming with that question but she had to have faith

"I'm not sure, I'll call as soon as I get home "