Chapter 5

The hot afternoon sun shone down on us as we stood outside the door to the beautiful house. Xaviar rang the door bell and we waited to be let in.
    On hearing shuffling of feet on the other side of the door, I tensed because I knew something bad was going to happen at this gathering.

        The doors were opened and the blonde petite lady that had been haunting my head for a while now stood before us, a smile on her face.
   I stayed in the spot, paralyzed and unwilling to move. Sudden fear crept into my bones and I couldn't help but wonder why I had agreed to this in the first place.

      "My Xaviar!" She exclaimed and pulled him in for a hug

      "mamma" He placed a kiss to her cheek while I just stood behind him feeling out of place

    "are you just going to stand there???" She turned to me after they sepereted

      "Buon Pomeriggio" I gave a small smile

  "I see you've been learning Italian " She said in a spiteful manner. I just couldn't understand Marla Lucasino's issue with me.

  "Mio fratello è finalment a casa"
(my brother is finally home) a high pitched tone suddenly flooded my ears before it's owner rushed pushing me aside to hug her brother

     Discord was here herself in the person of Keva Lucasino.

"You haven't come to check up on us in a while. I understand tho,  having to deal with all these problems " She spoke throwing an unnoticed shade towards me

       "Dinner would be served in a few. Please proceed to the dinning room " a man dressed in a suit interrupted before leaving immediately.

    That was our cue to leave the living room.
"You see, I told you there was nothing to bother about " Xaviar whispered as his hands found mine

  "we just got here babe. What makes you so sure?"

   "Credimi, mia cara"
(trust me my dear)

    we hadn't talked much before his sister interrupted us, pulling Xaviar along with her. The feeling of not belonging in this place filled my mind and sent my body into a state of fear because I had no idea what to expect or how to behave.

    I took a seat besides Xaviar at the table and his mother and sister sat across from us. His father was no where in sight. Seconds later, the man who looked to be in his early fifties walked into the room.

     Xaviar stood up and the both male spoke in Italian. His father's gaze turned to me and I immediately got up greeting him with a smile. With all the pleasantries done, we sat back at the table waiting for the meal to be served.

      Xaviar and his father chatted away and the females joined in from time to time. My husband also tried roping me into their conversation but I knew my place and gave few replies rather than solely contributing.

     As we ate in a comfortable silence, I could feel a pair of eyes measuring me, raising my gaze from the delicacy, I found it was Keva who stared intently on me like she was wandering when I would pack up my things and leave their family , I looked away in an attempt to relief the stress I was suddenly feeling.
    It felt like Xaviar had noticed because his hand suddenly held mine in a comforting way.

    "Why do you look so pale Layla?" His poke nosing mother questioned

     "Uhm I- -"

"Is she always this poor with words??" Her gaze turned to Xaviar questionly