Chapter 7

I woke up to Mel sneaking in through the window

          I woke up to Mel sneaking in through the window. "What the hell are you doing?" I groaned. "Shh, I snuck out to see Lyson and since you aren't at the Pack House I couldn't tell my parents I was with you. I jumped out the window" she quietly chuckled. 

"You're insane" I mumbled, still half asleep. I suppose the window wasn't too high up in this small cottage and she managed it with her supernatural abilities but it still didn't look too fun. "Where the hell do you even plan on living anyways?" she whispered while taking off her shirt to throw on her pajamas. "It's close to three in the morning can we talk about this tomorrow?" I groaned again. "Fine" she muttered, closer now that she was sliding into her bed beside me. She could be a real bed hog but since it was her bed I don't have much right to complain. 

        Both her and Jasper tried to treat me the same yesterday after I told them a bit about my mother and my upbringing but I wondered how they really felt about me now. Was I an even bigger charity case? They had already taken me in almost a year ago but now they knew more. Worse things that made them feel they had a certain amount of responsibility for me. I would never want to become a burden to them. It would break my heart if things ended up that way. That's why I ask for nothing and give double over. 

I just want to earn the right to be here.

-

          "Wake up bish" I heard my best friend call out to me from the doorway. I hadn't realized I slept in and jumped from the mattress in a scramble. "Shit, I need to get to the Pack House" I started gathering things to get dressed. "Relax, I mindlinked Jasper who spoke to Luna. He told her you were going to stay away for a few days while the guys adjusted and she agreed to it. You're off the hook for now" she took the clothes from my hands and threw them back on top of the duffle bag I had received them from. 

"They've got the little flea market going on in town today. Let's go buy things" she wiggled her eyebrows at me. The currency here could be different at times. For example, since everyone pitched into the community as a whole it was almost like trading goods and services and money wasn't exactly exchanged like humans would do at work for a paycheck. Healers, their doctors, would do their duties and farmers would do their food so food was distributed differently. 

Many were self-sufficient with hunting and gathering. We did get stuff from the mountain towns, they called those traveling wolves who would sell things like Mr. Collins woodworking to the people down there and bringing goods back to the village where we would either make trades or exchange money for. 

        I'm not sure the entire mechanics behind it but I know some flea market items came from below and others were made right here like the handmade jewelry I loved looking at. I wasn't exactly making money here so I never bought anything but I loved looking through the stands and talking to the vendors. Books, homemade jams, and food items that were rare for us to receive unless specifically requested for by the traveling wolves, were all sold there too. A variety of things that varied month to month.