Chapter 13

The moon was already falling back into the treeline

          The moon was already falling back into the treeline. They'd have to chase it soon if they wanted to do their wolf run before sun up. We still had time though which meant everyone was still drinking, still dancing, still playing games. "A toast to you Alpha Devran" I said in a voice I barely recognized. It was almost seductive and he noticed. His eyes snapped down to mine and his nostrils flared. He quickly took the shot and then another without me. 

"Hey" Jasper walked up probably because he noticed who I was standing with. "Your girlfriend was just making a little toast for me," Devran informed his friend. "I'll have a toast for you" Jasper said, instead of acknowledging his friend's little comment. The two of them clasped backs and did some bro toast and I was happy they were having a moment. 

"Bitch, come dance" Melanie shouted from the area where she was grinding on Lyson. I laughed and waved her off. I was not joining her and him. Grace came bounding over instead. "What's up? How come you were talking to Alpha? I thought you two hated each other?" she asked. "We do," I nodded. "Then?" she asked, wanting me to explain myself. 

"Then what?" I giggled. "How come you were talking to him then?" she asked again. "Listen Grace, you and Daisy can fight over Devran. I'm here to have a good time" I patted her shoulder and walked away.

          Diego appeared out of nowhere and asked me to be his partner in pong. It sounded fun so I agreed. Surprisingly I wasn't bad. I think the lack of overthinking the throws due to being wasted actually helped me land better shots. Every time we sunk one in, we would high five. And when we didn't he booed me, but all in good fun. "Okay new girl, you didn't do half bad" my partner praised me after a close call win. He tucked me under his arm the way Jasper often does but removed his arm suddenly which made me look up. He was looking forward so I looked forward and saw an odd exchange between Beta and Alpha. 

"Okay who's running?" a very drunk Jasper asked and hands were being raised. "Well, I think I'll opt out of this one" I joked. Everyone laughed. When I saw Devran look at me I cut him off before he could say anything cruel. "Yeah I know, that's why humans don't belong. We suck, I get it" I waved him off. 

People chuckled but more quietly to themselves. They knew I was only so forward because I was drunk. Otherwise I'm always docile and non confrontational. "Yup, took the words right out of my mouth" he stated sarcastically.

"Well let's finish this run so we can keep partying" a guy howled. They all took off running and removing their clothes. "Oh my" I laughed, standing alone in the clearing. 

        Moments like these I felt most isolated from my friends. I didn't belong here, but here I was. The lights still twinkled on and the stars still showed themselves, so I wouldn't pout. I would celebrate. Snatching a bottle off the table I started twirling around holding the length of my dress and enjoying the music. I laughed to myself at how silly I must look but I felt good right now. "Thank you Moon Goddess" I found myself saying. I held the bottle up toward the sky before taking a swig.