Chapter 41

"The elders are looking for you

          "The elders are looking for you. Let me escort you to the Packhouse my lady" Jasper extended an elbow to me. I went along with his old timey talk with a silly accent and accepted his hand. "Does this mean I can't come?" Mel frowned as we walked towards the house. "Sorry, it's Pack business" Jasper hollered to her from over his shoulder. "You guys suck! I'm always left out" I heard her whine before she just walked away. Inside the house I wasn't feeling playful anymore. I felt awkward and tense but I had Jasper by my side and I just held his arm to feel my comfort and safety. 

I accepted several hugs from Leslie and many others in the house before being addressed by the men in Devran's office. It felt like we had come full circle. Not long ago I was hiding behind a half open door listening to them slander me and now I am here for a very different reason. As soon as we entered many of the men stood up. My eyes caught with Devran's.

    Alpha Conan approached me and gave me a hug to thank me and to show he was glad I had recovered. "Young lady, we all know why you are here. Many of our people witnessed you performing acts of magic to help our people during the evacuation" one of the oldest looking men of the bunch spoke out first. A lot of these guys are wrinkled and some are cranky while others are wise. Some are grey and wrinkled. I know one man to be the one who performed the ceremony of the changing of the Alpha when he was dressed in ceremonial garb. I just continued to look at him because the man speaking had yet to ask me anything. 

"Is it true you summoned wind to clear our paths to safety?" He asked. "It is," I nodded. I still stood very close to Jasper who just kept beside me for support. "And is it true that you brought rain to wipe the fire out?" He asked me. "Yes."

        All the men around the room began to whisper and lean to one another while I waited. Devran said nothing but his eyes burned into me. "How long have you known you possess mystical powers?" He asked me. "Not long at all," I told him honestly. "And yet you were able to perform such miracles so soon?" He asked me in a way that made me feel suddenly interrogated. "I reacted with fear and worry for the people, it unlocked something inside me much larger than what I was used to" I told him but looked at everyone in general. "Am I being interrogated here?" I decided to ask my own question now. 

"No, sweetheart, this is just the formal stuff," Conan assured me. I nodded for them to continue. "And before this incident were you working with your gifts?" The man asked me. 

"Gran had an inkling that I might possess a gift and she asked me to meditate on the full moon at the sacred circle to see what came up. We agreed it should remain private until I figured out what was going on. Gran advised this because she didn't want to get people in an uproar if we weren't sure I even had a connection with the elements. Over a series of weeks I discovered I could heal a dead flower and I also had access to knowledge I hadn't previously known when I made a plant based cream for warrior Nealin Sr to help with his scars" I took a deep breath and continued.

          Jasper squeezed my hand telling me I was alright. "His scars have drastically improved and I had no reason to know such things on my own. I started practicing the summoning of wind when I learned I can call upon the air as it is an element. That's what helped me get started when the fire was occurring. I just tried it. I didn't know it would work" I said honestly, because there was a great chance nothing would happen when I tried to use my gifts. Again the murmurs continued. I looked up at Jasper and he nodded at me in reassurance for a second time.