Chapter 47

I had gotten some groceries for Miss Martha, the sweet older woman with her tricky hip that keeps her mobility at a minimum

        I had gotten some groceries for Miss Martha, the sweet older woman with her tricky hip that keeps her mobility at a minimum. I had just come from Mr. Baker's where I had done the same thing, delivered groceries. "Hi honey, aren't you kind" she said what she always says every time I walked the bags in and placed them on her counter for her. "How are you feeling lately?" I studied her form, noticing she was moving slower than usual. 

"Oh, I'm alright. It's just an off day. I think it's the weather. Too much moisture in the air makes the bones achy." I nodded and started removing items from the bag. "Let me put these away for you then. Don't overdo it" I offered. She gladly pulled out a seat from her kitchen table and sat down so we could chat as she watched what I was doing. "Middle cabinet" she pointed when I struggled to find each item's place. 

        Miss Martha has the type of kitchen you'd just expect from someone her age. She has ceramic duck salt and pepper shakers in the middle of her kitchen table and hand sewn seat cushions for the seats. It's a dusty bluish color as are her short curtains in the window above her sink. We talked about common community news like how little Jimmy fell out of a tree the other day and almost broke his arm, or how so-and-so found their mate. Gossip really.

She did ask me about the whole Mystic thing but I kept it to a minimum, especially when she told me I was a sacred thing. That felt odd and untrue. "Alright, Miss Martha, I gotta get going. I have a few more things to do around town today" I waved to her as I told her I'd let myself out. If her hip was bad I didn't want her moving around unnecessarily. 

        I ended up running into Declan, Jasper's brother, on my way out. "Hey, are you making deliveries?" He asked me, knowing what I do around here. "I was, I'm finished now" I told him as I made it down the walkway. "I haven't seen you in a while, punk. What've you been up to?" I nudged him playfully. He has a lot of similar features to his other siblings; it's easy to tell they are all related. "Uh" he said awkwardly, scratching at the back of his head. 

"Oh my Goddess, you have a girlfriend, don't you?" I grinned as soon as his expression told me I was right. "Shush, it's not official. I've been hanging out with a girl, yes" he admitted quietly.

"Uyy, is she pretty? Who is it?" I acted like a preteen. I got to watch Declan grow over the last year of my being here. We're the same age but where I have looked the same for a while, I met him at a time where his chin hairs sprouted and he grew another inch or two. "Nope. I'm not telling you crap! You spend too much time with my brother" he playfully zipped his lips. 

        "Why can't Jasper know? That means you're doing something bad" I chuckled. "Not even. I just like to be lowkey and him and the guys in the Pack house will start harassing me, making jokes and stuff." I shrugged because I could picture exactly that happening and I understood wanting to be a lowkey person. That's probably why we got along. Him and I were quiet presences in the house when I lived there. "Well-" I didn't get to finish when Declan swiftly threw his hand up to shut me up. I could see in his face that it was something serious.