Workshop 1 - Character Development

Written by neverfakeit

[The vagabond wore a grizzled beard. It twisted between the worn layers of his scarf and the collar of his coat like a cat tucked into a laundry basket. The big toe of his left foot protruded from an expensive hunting boot, black from soot. Nobody talked to him. They were too afraid. Besides, he always shouted the same curse, "I used to be a damned king, I did!" 

If his mind hadn't abandoned him and been replaced by mistrust, he would know that the centuries old ruby ring he clutched in his pocket proved his claim was true. But how had his mind been poisoned? Did the royal have any chance of finding himself again? ]

When you think of your favorite stories, you typically think of the characters in those stories before anything else

When you think of your favorite stories, you typically think of the characters in those stories before anything else. Some of those characters may have even shaped how you view the world, especially if you grew up reading the same stories over and over again. We're here to talk about writing characters, and—more importantly—how to make them memorable.

A character can be defined as a person, animal, or figure represented in a literary work. The purpose of characters in a story is to push the plot forward in a relatable and engaging way, and like any other element, characters need to be developed. There are a number of methods that have been perfected over the years to help writers do that. So many, in fact, that we have split up the topic of characters into three parts. Part one will cover character types and how to develop well-rounded characters.

What is Character Development?

In fiction writing, character development is the process of building a unique, three-dimensional character with depth, personality, and clear motivations. Character development can also refer to the changes a character undergoes over the course of a story as a result of their actions and experiences—we also call this the character arc. See the next chapter for details about Character Arcs.

When it comes to your story, it doesn't matter whether the stakes are big or small, as long as they matter to your protagonist. He could be searching for the antidote to a deadly pandemic. Or she might be trying to save her family from an eviction. Establish what is important to your character, what they are willing to do to reach it, and help the reader imagine what might happen if they lose it. Characters, like people, are imperfect. They don't need to be likeable, but they must be interesting.

What Roles Will Your Characters Play?

Protagonist / Antagonist / Deuteragonist / Tertiary / Love Interest / Confidant / Foil

The protagonist is the main character, the big kahuna, the star attraction. This should be the first character you flesh out. Most of the action centers around them, and they are the one we're meant to care about the most. Every story has to have a protagonist. No protagonist—no plot.