Workshop 4 - The Logline

The logline is a one line concept of a story or film. Often, you will find a logline preceding the blurb, like the appetizer before the main course. 

A book logline should follow this simple format:

Be original

Be memorable

Hook your reader

Around 30 words or less 

Present tense is best

*       *       *

A good rule of thumb when writing a logline is to include the main character, their goal, and the obstacle keeping them from that goal:

The protagonist (their name isn't a requirement, just a description — An alcoholic surgeon...)

The goal of the protagonist (usually in line with the story's inciting incident — An alcoholic surgeon must fight for his job...)

The antagonist or obstacle (An alcoholic surgeon must fight for his job after a disgruntled patient accuses him of malpractice...)

Logline Samples

> A chaste demigoddess, unaware of her royal status, learns she is being groomed to serve the gods and flees to the underworld with Hades to escape Zeus's wrath.

> A professor of symbology unlocks codes buried in ancient works of art as he hunts for the Holy Grail.

> A dark witch teams up with a handsome vampire when her family's plan to unlock the pages of an ancient grimoire goes awry.

> PI Max Caldwell believes that rules are meant to be broken -- even if that means a whole bunch of hangovers, sex frustrations, and some guys who are just itching to kill her.

📌TIP: Many Paid Stories start with a logline followed by a series of asterisks (*****). Done well, these 'teasers' can lure readers in before they even make it to the blurb. 

You may have noticed that this chapter is short, just like the logline. The best method for learning how to write a good logline is to just start practicing. Let's see how you do in our Logline Workshop, being held April 18th thru 22nd in our Bootcamp Discord server. (link in bio and workshop schedule chapter)