Chapter 6

I stared down at my necklace and saw what he was pointing to.
Oh fuck ... I didn't know what to do.

"I was going through mom's things after she died and I found this along with a letter. I know the rings are yours and hers and before you ask no I will not give them to you. She left them for me and in the letter she told me to wear them all the time."

"Valentina, why did Isabella keep them?"

"She still loved you."

I wanted to get this over with. I was hungry and seeing all of their angry faces at the mention of mom didn't make me feel any better.

"Can I see them?"

"No" They looked shocked by my blunt answer.

"Why not?"

"Because you guys are mad at her and hate her I can tell from your expressions that you all try so hard to cover. I'm not going to give you something of hers. I don't know what you guys will do with it." This whole time I've been talking to Alfonso only. Nobody dared to say a word.

"You're right we do hate her. She took you away from us." I heard Alessandro say, hate clearly evident in his voice.

I didn't want to argue with them about mom. To me she was an amazing person. To them she was a person they despised and I see where they came from, but if they really are the Mafia I see where mom came from. From my point of view my mom did what she thought was best for me and my safety. If they hate her this much I don't want them at her funeral tomorrow.

"Look I don't feel like arguing about mom and if she was good or bad. You all have the freedom to have your own opinion about her but don't try telling me she was a terrible person. Keep your opinions of her to yourself. Also to uphold rule #6 I only want Alfonso to come with me tomorrow to her funeral." I saw a little bit of hurt on Alfonso's face when I said his name instead of dad.

"Valentina. That still means following rule #1. Respect dad and don't call him by his name." Luciano said sternly. He looked pissed.

"Luciano, I'm not going to call him dad when I don't know him that well. You can't honestly expect me to call him dad when you guys call mom by her first name. It's the same thing. I'm being respectful by calling him by his first name. I don't want to address him as "that guy" or say "hey you". That is disrespectful."

"Val-" He was cut off by Alfonso.

"Leave it Luciano. She isn't comfortable with saying dad...yet, so I suggest you leave it. It's not going to kill me if she doesn't call me dad."

I mentally thanked him for getting Luciano off my ass. But here comes another problem: I don't want to sit through an awkward lunch. I think Vincenzo noticed this so instead of directing me to a chair he led me to the kitchen.

Once we got into the kitchen he signaled for the same older lady I met when I first got here. As she was coming towards us Vincenzo asked me if I wanted to eat with them or in my room. I opted for my room seeing how it was awkward.

He then faced the older lady, who  I now know as Julia, and told her to make me a plate of food so I could take it to my room. Thankfully I didn't have to go through the dining room to go to my room.

I made it to my room and set my plate of food on the desk and started eating. The food consisted of lasagna, breadsticks and steamed asparagus. The plate was too much for me to finish but I ate what I could.

While eating I was looking out the window and admiring the beautiful garden in the backyard. I could also see the forest from my room.

Alfonso's POV