Chapter 3

Link jolted awake in a panic, an obnoxious jingle blaring in his ear. He groped around for his phone, his bleary eyes doing nothing to help as his finger grasped desperately. They finally closed onto the device, fumbling for a moment as he turned off the alarm. He sighed when the ear-splitting noise stopped, dragging his hand over his face. It wasn't the most ideal way to wake up, but it had certainly worked. 

Stretching out his stiff limbs, Link yawned and squinted out the bright windows, glancing down at the clock beside his bed. Half-past seven- plenty of time. He didn't have to be there until eight. 

His eyes widened as realization dawned. He had to be there by eight. That meant dressed, prepared, and downtown in the next half hour. 

In a whirlwind of blankets, he sprung up from his bed, rifling through his backpack for anything that would be remotely appropriate for a business setting. He settled on the best pair of dark slacks and a button-down he hoped had been washed recently. Sprinting into the bathroom, he changed in record time, somehow managing to brush his hair and teeth simultaneously. He tied his hair back, securing it at the nape of his neck before giving himself a once-over in the mirror. 

It wasn't fancy, but it would have to do. 

He grabbed his phone and began stuffing the scattered papers on the floor into his backpack, slipping on his shoes as he ran out the door. Link jammed the elevator button impatiently, checking the clock on his phone every few seconds. 

Do the elevators always move this slow? Link couldn't stop thinking impatiently as he stepped inside. It felt like an eternity to reach the bottom floor, the other occupants shooting him strange glances as he anxiously watched the floor numbers slowly descend to 'L'. As soon as the doors opened Link bolted for the lobby doors, waving to every cab until one graciously stopped. 

He tumbled into the backseat, not even bothering to take off his bag as he sputtered out the address. Link shot a glance at his phone when the driver pulled out into traffic. Seven fifty-five!? He drummed his fingers against his knee. They were only a block away when the car came to a halt in a long line of traffic. 

Link groaned, "Just my luck," he muttered. "You know what," he rushed out, mind made up as he unbuckled, "I'll just walk the rest." 

The driver tried to protest as he shoved some rupees into her hands, but Link didn't pay any attention as he hopped out of the car. Thankfully, the sidewalk was a bit easier to navigate than the road. Link wove his way through the bustling crowd, muttering hurried apologies as he approached the enormous building. He threw open the tall glass door and rushed inside, pausing to smooth his shirt and fix his bangs which were now sticking up in every direction. 

Throwing on a calm facade, Link walked casually up to the front desk, wiping away the slight sheen of sweat on his brow. He threw a nervous glance at the clock hanging on the wall, gritting his teeth at the time. Five minutes past eight. Ignoring the fact that he was late, Link leaned against the tall front desk, waiting awkwardly for the receptionist to notice him. 

"Name?" the Zora asked him sharply, not even looking up from his computer.