Chapter 10

"It won’t take long, just go ahead."

Zelda's words still rang in Link's mind as he fervently looked to the large clock on the wall. Its hands slowly marched closer to the mark of ten and still no news from Zelda. After he’d left the Noble Cafe he returned to the offices and continued on with his mundane work, though he wasn’t very productive. He didn’t see Zelda for the remainder of the day and she hadn’t responded to any of the texts he’d sent. Thinking maybe she’d taken the rest of the day off he retired to Twi’s house, only to find no Zelda.

Now here he was, watching a movie with Twi and Dusk and paying more attention to the clock than to the actual film. The other two Hylina’s assured him not to worry, that Zelda was an adult and could stay out as long as she pleased, but it was the severe lack of communication that was bothering Link.

What if something had happened? What if somehow her dad had figured out about their little visit to his office and lashed out at her. Scenarios sprouted in Link’s mind like a virus, his leg bouncing as he anxiously checked his phone again. There still weren’t any notifications. He considered texting her again, or even calling, but stopped. Twi and Dusk were right, she could spend her time how she pleased, and she certainly didn’t need to tell him where she was going. 

Link sighed and sunk further into the couch cushions, unable to get comfortable no matter how hard he tried. Twi glanced over at him sleepily, piled under fluffy blankets with his wife who’d already fallen asleep.

“You alright?” he asked, adjusting his position to look at the younger man.

“Yeah,” the Hylian lied, “just-”

Link’s phone started buzzing and his hand moved faster than he’d thought possible. His heart pounded when he saw Zelda’s name as the caller ID, his fingers fumbling as he vaulted over the backside of the couch. He put the phone to his ear and stepped into the privacy of the hall, away from Twi’s prying eyes.

“Zelda?” he asked, breath catching in his throat and voice shaky.

“Hey, Link,” her meek voice filled his ear and he sighed in relief.

“Where have you been?” he rushed out, pressing the phone hard against his ear.

“I-” she paused and cleared her throat, “I just needed to clear my head.”

“Oh, yeah, of course,” they lapsed into silence for a moment, Link pacing anxiously. He understood that it’d been a stressful day, it wouldn’t be easy for anyone to discover their dad might be an illegal weapons dealer.

“Um…is Dusk worried at all,” Zelda murmured, something like traffic now in the background.

“She said she wanted to give you some space,” Link answered truthfully, “said if you weren’t back by morning she’d get ahold of you.”

“Ah,” Zelda muttered absentmindedly.

Link paused and pressed the phone even harder to his ear. Were those boat horns he was hearing?

“Zelda,” he started as calmly as he could, “just where are you?”

She was silent for a few beats, clearly hesitant, “Eh…well,” she sucked in a breath, “Lurelin,” she admitted softly.

“Lurelin?!” Link ran a hand through his hair, “goddesses Zelda, what are you doing all the way down there?”

“I-I uh,” she stuttered for a moment, “I guess I got on the bus to take my mind off things and lost track of time.”

Link could hear how shaky her voice was, and the small sniffles she tried to hide.

“It’s pretty late now,” she went on, “I don’t really think it’s a good idea to travel alone on a bus so I’ll probably just get a hotel room. Could you let Dusk know for me?”