Chapter 5

Sofia

I sat on the bathroom floor crying. I came here as soon as I woke up from my nightmare. It was normal for me to frequently get nightmares, but I would still end up quite shaken up after everyone. I tried many things to get rid of them, eating more, eating less, drinking more, drinking less, taking medication, reading, yoga, more fresh air. Literally anything you could think of. I tried it all.

What usually helped me calm down was playing the piano, but Dante sold it 5 years ago. He said he had some kind of debt to pay off and that I owed him it after he has been looking after me for a while.

I miss Maria. She was kinder than Dante. Maybe if I had been a more obedient child she wouldn't have had a heart-attack. That's one reason I am very cautious about meeting my brothers.

What if I cause them too much trouble? Would they leave me like everyone else?

I decided I should pull myself together and get ready to meet my other brothers. It was only 5am but I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Elijah said I would be meeting a few more of them today. I hope they are all as friendly as Elijah. I like him. He is really cheerful and gentle.

Maybe I should make them something. Oh I know. I am going to make them some cinnamon rolls. I love cinnamon rolls. They are literally the best thing ever invented.

I hurriedly washed my face, tied up my hair and got dressed. I skipped downstairs and made a list of all the stuff I needed. Now all I had to do was create a plan to convince Dante to lend me some money.

I slowly walked to his bedroom door and gave the door a soft knock. As soon as I heard some kind of muffled reply I pushed open the door.

"What do you want Sofia? I'm way too hungover for this." he groaned.

"Uhm I need some money for the groceries.... Please?"

"Ugh you always need money. Just take some from the cabinet in the kitchen"

"Thanks Dante"

I walked out of his room and made my way back to the kitchen. The cabinet was really high up so I had to get a stool to stand on. I pushed it right up to the wall and started to climb on it. It was a bit dangerous, and the stool was really wobbly.

I tried reaching for the €20 note, but I could still barely reach. I started stretching my arm and standing on my toes but as soon as I had the money in my hand, I lost my balance and fell of the stool.

Oh my. I definitely broke something. I had heard a crack and my ribs were in so much pain. I hugged myself and bit my lip to stop my sobs from escaping my mouth. Ugh why do I have to be so stupid. I should have waited for Dante to get up. It's so sore. I haven't felt pain like this before.

I wasn't going to tell Dante. This would just anger him, and I didn't want to cause more trouble. It probably wasn't too serious, right? It would heal by itself. Dante said hospitals were expensive

"Pain is temporary. Swag is forever" I whispered to myself

***

I started walking to the shop mentally checking the list of things I need: Money, list and bags. Check, check and check.

The sun was shining brightly and there was not a cloud in sight. At least the day wasn't going as bad now. I had taken some painkillers at home and the stabbing feeling on my side had turned into a dull ache.

If I wanted to stick to the schedule I would have to be home in 3 hours. It's an hours walk to the shop. I would have taken the bus, but my ticket had expired. Dante could have brought me, but he was sleeping.