Chapter 12

Sofia

Tension filled the air as everyone was waiting for the judge's official decision.

Dante had already pleaded his case as not guilty. Lorenzo didn't want Nazaire and me to be in the room for most of the court case, so we had been waiting in a separate room.

"Sofia Marchetti please come forward again."

I looked over to Elijah and saw him nodding at me in encouragement. I took a deep breath before stepping up.

"Who would you most prefer to live with Ms.Marchetti?"

"I- I... I uhm wouldn't really mind who I lived with as long as they are willing to take me in, sir."

"Hmm interesting answer. And why would your brothers not be willing to take you in?"

Why was he asking me these questions? I don't understand how they affected me.

"I feel that I ....... I wouldn't want to ruin a perfect family."

Everyone started whispering after my response, the judge looked like he was deep in thought and my brothers had wistful sad looks on their faces. Had I said something wrong? I hope they didn't feel forced to take me in just because I'm their sister.

"Silence. Silence please." Called the judge.

"I have made a decision." I closed my eyes and prayed that all decisions would be good for everyone.

"Dante Rossi is not guilty of the acclaimed charges. There is no proof of him being a drug addict, alcohol abuser or child neglecter. But from here on out Sofia Marchetti will continue to live with her biological brothers. All payments to Dante Rossi from the Marchetti's will also be stopped. Visiting time will be allowed. This case will be revisited later to check for any progression or problems."

I was in shock. Complete utter shock.

I looked at my brothers to see them all either smiling or looking dissatisfied (except for Lorenzo, his face was just emotionless). I guess they were hoping for Dante to be imprisoned.

I could hear Dante shouting random words. Something about 'proving us wrong'. I wasn't too sure.

Suddenly there was a loud commotion. I looked over and saw Dante was running towards me with a malicious grin. When he got close enough he gripped my arm and whispered in my ear.

"I'll be back for you Sofia. I will kill you, you slut! We all know what you did and you will pay for it in one way or another. They won't want you. It only took your poor little daddy a few months until he was fed up with you. Let's see how long they will last."

I felt the colour drain from my face and my arms dropped to my sides. The worst part about what Dante had said was that it was true. What was to stop my brothers from giving me away again?

Everything around me blurred and I heard more shouting as Dante was being pulled away by an annoyed policeman.

Maybe if I had told the judge what really happened Dante would then be locked up for good. But I was a coward. I couldn't even admit it to myself. Dante would never leave me alone, and I will have to live the rest of my life worrying that he might find me again. He would never forgive me for this.

Why do things like this always happen to me. I won't allow myself to trust my brothers if they are just going to send me away again.

***

Nazaire and I sat in the back of the car while Elijah and Lorenzo were in the front. Today I would be going to my new home and meeting the rest of my brothers.

Nazaire has told me that Phoenix and Xander are twins and that they are probably the rudest people he has ever met. Next to them is Alessandro who definitely has anger issues. Great. Just great.

I knew that my brothers were rich, so I was expecting a big house in a nice neighbourhood.

God, you wouldn't even believe how wrong I was. They literally live in a frickin' mansion! Like what?! It's like the richest and biggest house I have ever seen.

I was about to open my car door until Nazaire stopped me and did it himself, insisting that I would just hurt my ribs again. How does opening a door even affect my ribs? I have barely known my brothers for a few weeks, and they were already so protective. How am I going to survive?

I only brought a small bag with a few of my prized possessions including: a few pictures of myself, a snow globe and a gold necklace that I have had ever since I could remember, my plushie bunny and my piano book. I tugged my bag closer to me, it was the one thing I didn't want my brothers near.

Nazaire linked elbows with me before he led me to the main entrance.

"You are going to love your room. Oh I can't wait to show you all the pictures and the-"

"Calm down Nazaire. I think you should bring Sofia inside before making her suffer with all your talking." Elijah said.

"Oops... sorry, I get a bit carried away sometimes." Nazaire said smiling sheepishly.

I just smiled back before telling him it was fine.

I took a deep breath before Lorenzo opened the front door.

I was gobsmacked at the sight of their house. The main entrance had a tall ceiling and was decorated beautifully. One piece of the wooden flour was probably worth more than all my possessions.

"BOYS GET DOWN HERE PLEASE." Shouted Elijah.

There was shuffling and shouting coming from upstairs as 5 boys came down the stairs. I noticed Emiliano and Matteo were with them.

"Well brothers here is your dear sorellina."

There was a few grunts and mumbles until one of the boys spoke up.

"Are you sure this is her? I was expecting someone a bit more... you know...."

I knew it. What was I thinking when I thought they would accept me? I will never be enough.

"Xander! Ti ho già avvertito. Go back upstairs. I will be talking to you later." Lorenzo said, giving Xander a pointed look before he started going back up the way he came.

"Don't worry Sof, he didn't mean it. He's just in a bad mood." Assured Nazaire, but I didn't believe him.

"This is Alessandro, and this is Phoenix." He said pointing to the two other boys who seemed to be just glaring at me.

My brothers all looked very similar and I could tell it would take me some time to remember who was who.

"Hello." I replied, trying to be as polite as possible. I was already clearly in Xander's bad books and didn't want to get on anyone else's nerves.

"Well it is late. So Nazaire will show you to your room and then you can explore the house tomorrow." Explained Elijah.

Yeah, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

_______________________
OH MY GOD guys thanks so much for +2k reads!!
I never thought my story would get this popular.
If there is anything you would like to happen in the story please comment. :)