Chapter 16

Sofia

After replaying what had just happened in my head, I still couldn't figure out who those men were. I quickly shoved the letter in my coat pocket and washed my hands. Even though I was still in a state of shock I would obviously have time for hygiene.

I contemplated telling Nazaire about what had just happened, but I really didn't want to my brothers to get hurt. I had just gotten them back and if some kind of 'consequence' were to occur I would never forgive myself.

I quickly pulled myself together and walked out of the bathroom, trying to cover up the fact I had literally been ambushed. I exhaled a breath of relief when I saw my three brothers still sitting at the same table. I mean I know Nazaire told me not to mind anything they say, but I'm too gullible to not believe Xander.

As soon as I sat down both twins gave me pointed looks but I decided to ignore them. I turned to Nazaire stared at him until he noticed and started talking to me again. Nazaire could literally start a conversation about anything, I'm kind of grateful as it means I get to do less talking and more listening. Even though I am comfortable with Naz, I still find it hard to keep on talking for ages. No matter what it's about.

When the boys finished their meals, we all made our way back to the car. I kept looking out the windows, I was over-thinking the whole situation. If those men found me so easily now what was to say they wouldn't find me again. Even if I was being too paranoid, I wouldn't take my chances.

Should I tell Naz about them?

No. I don't want to bother him with something as small as that. I'm sure many people have been cornered by two random men and then been given a letter. Right?

When we made it home it was only 5pm so there was still some time before dinner. After Nazaire helped me set up my phone and laptop, we played some Roblox. I don't care what anyone says but I will be playing that game for life.

As soon as we heard dinner was ready, we made our way to the kitchen. I felt so out of place. My older brothers sat more to the top of the table while Nazaire and I were at the bottom.  I felt kind of awkward and uncomfortable. The rest of my brothers seemed relaxed and were all engaging in simple conversations while I continued to try and finish my food. I had eaten half of my lasagne I was already full. I had no idea how the boys were already finishing their second and third servings.

"Sofia?"

"Oh sorry. What d-did you say?"

I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I didn't even realise that Elijah was trying to speak to me.

"I asked if you didn't like the food because it seems like you don't want to finish it?"

"N-no that's not it. The lasagne is delicious it's just that I'm already full." I explained.

"Already? But you've barely eaten any of it?"

"I'm j-just not used to such big portions."

"Right. We are all just so used to eating so much. Sometimes I forget other people eat much smaller amounts. Nonetheless please eat as much as you can. Doctor's orders." He slyly winked at me at his last remark.

"O-okay." I felt awkward talking to Elijah since all my other brothers were also listening into the conversation.

"So Sofia, do you have any hobbies?" asked Matteo. I knew that my brothers were trying to make me feel more comfortable, but I feel like them asking me questions with all of them watching made me even more anxious.

"I like to read I guess."

"Pfft reading. What are you? A nerd?"  scoffed Phoenix.

Were they really going to make fun of my hobbies too? And reading is not nerdy. I have no idea what he is talking about.