Chapter 37

Xander

I had gotten sent out of class for almost starting another fight. Honestly it was so annoying. The teachers would always send me out just before the real fun would start. I was told to calm down in the hallways. What did that even mean? Was I just meant to walk around the halls or what?

I was texting my brothers about the situation with the shop outside. All we knew was that they had been closed down due to the owners conducting illegal activities. For some reason Lorenzo was highly concerned about it but I don't know why. None of us ever went there.

From the corner of my eyes I noticed a small figure rushing down the hallways.

Sofia.

What was she doing? If she was skipping class, I would definitely snitch on her. I don't understand why my brothers think she is perfect. I just know she's hiding something.

I decided to walk over to the bathroom so I could question her when she finished skipping class or whatever she was actually doing.

As soon as I heard her footsteps get closer to the door, I put my hand out to bock her from passing through.

The first thing I noticed was that her face looked cakey and paler than usual.

"Why does your face look like that?" I asked.

"Why do you care?" she countered back.

"I don't." I scoffed while rolling my eyes.

"So why are you asking?"

"Why not?"

"Whatever." She sighed and walked away. She definitely hiding something. I didn't know what but I would figure it out sooner or later.

I watched as she hurriedly walked back down the hallway she came from. Just for a moment I saw my own mother.......

***

I sat down in the main halls on my phone. I checked the group chat to see that Lorenzo had organized an urgent meeting for tonight. Ugh why was shit always happening. I could never catch a break. I was about to head to the sports hall when my phone started ringing.

Why the fuck was Sofia calling me?

"Sofia what the f-"

"It's Phoenix. He collapsed. I already called the ambulance but I don't know what else to do." She said clearly distressed.

I... what... Phoenix....

Suddenly I was pulled back to the present situation realising how serious it was. If Sofia was acting emotional she wouldn't think rationally. I had to get to them immediately.

"Shit! Where are you?"

"In the parking lot, please hurry." She sounded like she was crying at this point.

"I'm coming right now, don't move."

Shit! What the hell happened? I saw my own twins half and hour ago and he seemed perfectly fine.

I sprinted over to the main parking lot. Thank goodness Sofia was with him. I wouldn't let my own twin die in this prison we called school. I sent a quick SOS message into the groupchat to let my other brothers know that something was up.

I crouched down to my brother's unresponsive body and felt forhis pulse. It was slowing down. Shit!

My mind was going blank, my simple medical training was slipping from my mind.

"Did he say anything before he collapsed? How did he seem?" I asked looking at Sofia. She seemed to be in a state of shock. It took her about 10 seconds to realise I had asked her something.

"W-what?"

"How was he acting before he collapsed?" I repeated.

"I-I ...I h-he was pretty pale and s-sweating a lot..." She answered sniffling between each word.

"Will he be alright?"

"I-I......... I don't know." For the first time in a long time, I was afraid. Afraid of losing my other half.

***

We all sat in the waiting room while Phoenix was being examined by the doctor. It hadn't taken the ambulance a long time to reach us. About a minute longer and they loaded him into the vehicle. Sofia was still crying, she hadn't stopped. When I looked closely at her face I could see a red mark on her. But I didn't want to press her about it now. I wasn't in the mood.

Nazaire was sitting next Sofia trying to keep strong while consoling her. Lorenzo was arguing with another doctor about the wait time and the rest of my brothers were either pacing around the waiting room on just sitting down.

The reason why everyone that everyone was so stressed and tense was because it was very rare for Phoenix to get sick. So either he actually contracted some serious illness or someone had done this to him.

As soon as the doctor entered the room we all stood up anxiously waiting to hear the news of twins condition.

"Mr. Marchetti?"

"Yes?" All of us answered at once.

"Okay... well your brother is luckily in a stable condition. If he was brought in a minute later he probably wouldn't be alive right now. The cause of his condition is very..."

"Very what?" demanded Lorenzo.

"Very unusual. It seems like he had ingested a lethal drug-"

"Impossible!! I know for a fact that Phoenix doesn't take drugs! Even if-" I protested.

"Relax Xander. Let him finish." Elijah said placing a hand on my back.

"As I was saying, I didn't even know it was possible to produce in this country. It is also very lucky that he is a strong young man. His body was able to help fight the effects a little. We tested some of his belongings and found traces of the drug in these." He explained.

The doctor pulled out a plastic bag that had a packet of skittles inside.

A choked sob escaped from Sofia's mouth. I looked over to see her knees crying hysterically.

"It's my fault... I- I can't believe I ..." she struggled to get through her sentence.

"What do you mean it's your fault?" Nazaire asked trying to lift Sofia back to her feet.

"I- I was the one who gave him those s-skittles."

"You did what!?"

I instantly ran over to her and grabbed her by the shoulders.

She shrieked and started crying even more. Why the fuck was she crying when she caused this?

"Stop crying you bitch. Why are you crying when you did this to him? You almost killed your own brother. Lorenzo! Why do you still allow a murderer to liv-"

"Enough!"

I was instantly pushed away from my sisters trembling body. I had hurt my own sister...

Fuck! What have I done?

Okay guys here is the early late chapter?
I'll probably update again next weekend too.
I hope you enjoyed this chapter,