Chapter 3

Omniscient

Ariana sat in her office eating some Dominoes Pizza that she had ordered. It was past 9:00 and she was still working. She knew she could do her work at home, but she liked working from her office because all of the files she needed were there. Ariana took the last sip of water from her Fiji water bottle and tossed it in the trash. She then got up to go get another one from the break room.

When she entered the break room she saw the same janitor she had seen last week in her office. He had his AirPods in while he mopped the floor. Before Ariana could step into the room he stopped her.

"You need me to pass you something, this floor wet." He saw the high heels she was wearing and he didn't want to see her fall on the slippery floor.

"No, I can get it." Ariana declined, making her way over to the fridge.

"Alright now, don't be trying to sue me if you slip and fall." Amari joked, causing Ariana to let out a light laugh.

"Trust me, if I sued anybody it would be the person who owns this place." Ariana smirked, grabbing her water out of the fridge.

The janitor laughed, showing his pearly white teeth. "Why you always here so late?" He questioned curiously. It was only his second week here and he had noticed she was the only person that stayed past 8:00.

"I get more things done here." Ariana kept her response short and sweet, the janitor nodded in response.

"What's your name?" Ariana questioned curiously.

"Amari, what's yours?"

"Ariana, you want some pizza? I ordered some and I can't finish it all by myself." Ariana offered.

"Yeah, let me finish mopping first." Ariana nodded and headed back to her office.

When Amari was finished mopping the break room he washed his hands and headed to Ariana's office. Ariana was sitting behind her desk scrolling through her phone when he entered.

"Here's a plate." Ariana handed him a Dixie plastic plate. Amari took the plate from her, wondering how much a pack of the name brand plates cost because he knew they were overpriced.

"'Preciate it." Amari opened the Dominoes pizza box, revealing the large hand tossed pizza with Italian sausage, spinach, and pineapples.

"You eat pineapples on your pizza?" Amari gave Ariana a disgusted look.

Ariana chuckled, a lot of people gave her that reaction when they saw or heard of her pizza preference.

"Yes. Try just try it."

"You lucky I'm hungry." Amari grabbed three pieces of the pizza, closing the box back. 

He took a seat in one of the chairs in front of Ariana's desk. He prayed over his food, then took a bite. Ariana watched his face to see his reaction to the pizza.

"It's ight." Amari tried to downplay the pizza, it was actually good as hell in his opinion.

"I knew you were going to like it." Ariana chuckled, typing on her computer.

"I didn't say I like it, I said it was ight."

"Whatever." Ariana laughed.

A quietness filled the room as Ariana typed away on her computer and Amari ate his pizza. Ariana didn't like the silence so she decided to speak.

"How long have you been working here?" Ariana questioned.

"This my second week."

"Oh okay, are you enjoying it so far?"