2.5

In the morning, I helped out with the cleaning up the day after the attack. Moving bodies and burning them, burying our own dead. There had been minimal damage despite all the chaos the previous night, apart from bullet holes in cars and buildings.

I saw Tara getting out of a car. "Hey, you feeling okay now?"

On the night of the attack, she had been shot by an arrow to the shoulder. Despite the doctors insistance of taking it easy, she was out with everyone else. I admired people like her, it never failed to amaze me.

"It's just a scratch." Tara said. "I'll be fine."

"What if it ain't?" My dad asked.

"Then it's my own fault." Tara replied. "He's back with them because of me."

"No, he's back with 'em 'cause that's who he is."

"We got lucky." Tara said. "Finding Maggie, Rick. It could've been different. It was for me, when I was with the Governor."

"Lovely memories." I shrugged but got nudged.

"Yeah, but you weren't one of them." Dad replied.

"But I was with them." Tara. "Your brother too."

"Uncle Merle?" I scoffed. "If he was alive he'd be happily skipping around and being Negan's lap dog."

"My brother ran the wrong way his whole life. If he were here, if I'd stuck with him when he left, we'd be Saviours too. Or some other groups just like 'em. But I'd have figured out who they were just like you did."

"Maybe that's what happened to Dwight." Tara shot back.

"Is that before or after he killed your girl?" Dad asked and I gasped quietly. "Or is that all square now?"

"Dad." I whispered harshly.

"It is." She replied seriously. "I might hate him forever, but he saved my life"

"No, he tried to kill you last night." Dad argued.

"When we were in the woods, when we were coming here, I saw him try and help us win." Tara explained.

"Yeah, I saw what I saw too." Dad answered back and walked away.

"Sorry about him.." I placed my hand on Tara's arm. "He's a bit stubborn."

"Tell me about it." She offered a small smile before leaving.

I was left alone, now that I was it had given me time to think. So I did. Long and hard. So it made me decide..

I had to read Carl's letter.

I chose to read it later that night, when it was peaceful. Nobody could walk in and interrupt. Just me and Carl.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Dear Lilia,

I used to say I 'accidentally' pulled you into the water, but now I think back to that I realised I did it on purpose. Just so I could see you smile, despite being younger back then I still loved to spend every bit with you. Even if it did mean getting distracted by a bird cloud. (It was a bird)