the bathroom maddy perez

you quietly tapped your pencil on your desk as you bounced your knee

you quietly tapped your pencil on your desk as you bounced your knee. your math teacher was going on about some problem that you didn't care enough to listen too, so you tuned out her voice. you sighed as you put your head down against your desk. you felt yourself begin to drift off, and before you knew it you were asleep.

you awoke to be gently shaken awake by a girl who sat next to you, "[name ].. the teacher called on you."

your eyes widened and you quickly lifted up your head to meet eyes with the entire class staring at you as well as the teacher. your face was extremely red as you frantically flipped the pages of your textbook to try to get on track. "i'm sorry miss, can you please repeat the question?"

"i just asked you to say the answer for number two on page three seventy four." your teacher said, her hand making it's way to her hip and her eyebrow raising.

once you made it to the page you eyed the problem. you had no idea what the answer was. it was times like this where you wished you payed attention in your classes. "i- uhm.. i'm sorry i can't-"

"mr  [last name], why is this such a big deal to you? if you would've been awake you would have had no problem with this." your teacher said, crossing her arms while glaring at you. you felt the tears welling in your eyes, and the last thing you wanted to do was cry in class, in front of everyone.

"now this, class, is something not to do in front of your classmates. crying over something that you brought onto yourself." your teacher dissed, and you felt your heart beat quicken.

you suddenly stood up from your seat and speed walked out of the classroom and all the way to the bathroom. you threw open the door and set your hands around the sink as you let the tears fall. you tried to slow your breathing and calm yourself but you were so embarrassed and overwhelmed by the moment that you couldn't even focus.

you were so upset that you didn't even notice the door to the bathroom open, and a pair of heels click lightly on the ground. maddy perez's eyes met your sobbing figure, surprised as to how you hadn't noticed her at first. the first thing she thought whenever she laid eyes on you was 'pityful'. she didn't even wanna imagine the reason you were practically dying over the bathroom sink, but it certainly didn't look healthy.

maddy gently reached her hand out to touch your shoulder and you flinched immediately with her contact. you turned your head and your face furrowed and you snapped, "what're you doing?!"

maddy flinched back at your tone and her eyebrow raised. "shit boy , are you okay? you look like you're having a panic attack."

you rolled your eyes and went to face the mirror again, trying to wipe the remaining tears from your stained and red face. "look i really can't afford to be fucking harassed right now i just need-"

"harassed? who said anything about being harassed? i was worried for you, that's all." she said, and you honestly didn't expect her to be that patient with you. the minute you flinched away from her you figured she'd call you a cunt and storm out.

"i'm okay, really. it's literally normal to cry sometimes," you said as you tried to grab the your things from the top of the sink. as you went to leave the ladies room you gasped as you were pulled into a warm embrace. maddy perez was hugging you. she smelled of vanilla and ariana grande perfume, almost exactly what you'd expect from her and it was oddly comforting to you in your moment of weakness.

she began rubbing your back as you felt yourself start to sob again, this time in her shoulder. "i don't know what happened to make you this upset but, i'm really sorry. i know you probably hear that all the time, but i feel like you're the last person to deserve something like that."

maddy perez stood there holding you for what felt like a very long time as she let you let out all the stresses of your productive day, and once you were finally done and comfortable she let you pull away.

"i highly doubt that continuing the day is what you need, so how about you and i ditch and go get high." maddy said, not being able to control her excitement of the new best friend that she made in the bathroom.

you laughed as you continued to wipe your eyes, "yeah i'd really like that."

maddy couldn't remember the last time she felt genuine happiness radiating from a person and she was glad she finally had someone to fill the hole that cassie howard had left in her heart.