the one to run too maddy perez

"You were right

"You were right. She fucked Nate."

You stood, half asleep, in the main door to your house. The gentle patter of the rain fell upon your face, surprising you as you heard her sniffle continuously.

Through your half hooded eyes, she looked rough. Her eyeliner falling down her cheeks, her lipstick pretty much non-existent, her clothes soaked due to the rain.

You stepped aside, letting her into your house. It was a rare view seeing her like this. She let her guard down only with you, but rarely. Not even Nate got to see her cry, not that she'd want to do that now.

"I'm sorry." You closed the door, lifting your arms, inviting her rain-soaked form into a comforting embrace. She let her head fall into the crook of your neck, her hair ticking your cheek as you placed small kisses to the top of her head.

You had your assumptions about Nate's and Cassie's relationship. But never in a million years did you think Cass would have the nerve to actually sleep with him. You thought maybe she was slightly attracted to him, but fucking him was a step too far. Regardless, she always said she hated him, so why the change all of a sudden?

"Can I stay here tonight?"

You did nothing but nod, pulling away before grabbing her hand in your own and guiding her into your room. She followed, and all you could hear is her sniffles now and then.

You sat her down on your bed, going to your drawers to find her some comfy and dry clothes for the night. Pulling out a hoodie and some joggers, you walked back to her and placed them in her lap. She took them with a small smile, her eyes glossy from the tears she tried to hide.

"Let me get the makeup off you then we can sleep, okay?" You cupped her face, rubbing off the mascara off her cheek. Nodding, she watched as you walk into your bathroom deciding she'd change before you return.

When you came back, she was laying on your bed fully, her back against the mattress. In your clothes. Yeah, you gave them to her, you just didn't know how much it would affect you to see her in your clothes. It was too dark to see anything and you didn't want to accidentally hurt her so you turned on your small lamp before walking to sit next to her.

Taking out a wipe, you leaned over her and attached the cold to her skin. The makeup came off easily, only using a wipe to take the whole thing off. Her skin glistened slightly under the dim light, eyes closed as you relaxed into your touch.

Her phone made her sit up, the gentle buzz of it alarmed the both of you. Her home screen popped up, revealing a picture of her and Cassie hugging in her jacuzzi a little less than a month ago.

Seven missed calls from Kat, two from her dad and multiple messages from Rue apologising about how it came out. She just huffed and threw her body back so she was laying again, tossing her phone onto the floor.

You laid down beside her, on your side so you could have a comfortable view of her.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" You whispered.

She looked to the side, eyes scanning your face before she shook her head. Moving again, she hugged your torso and placed her head on your chest, your arms enveloping her frame.

Your hand ran up and down her back in a comforting motion, her cheek pressed firstly against your chest. No doubt she could hear you heart race. You could feel it in your ears yourself.

You didn't fall asleep until you were sure she was sleeping. What she didn't know was that you payed the smallest attention to things she did. You knew that when she's nervous, she likes to run her hand through her hair; or that when she was actually a really good cook; or that she loved to be hugged but she'd never admit it.

When you woke up Maddie was still asleep. Small snores being released into your ear as her head stayed put in the crook of your neck. Gently moving your hand to her hair, you let the lose ponytail go and ran your fingers through it. It was so smooth, but her roots were still a little damp from the night before.

Humming appreciatively, she stirred in your grip before her eyes fluttered open.

"Morning." You smiled, tightening your grip on her momentarily to let her know you were awake too.

"Hey." She sounded tired, her voice barely above a whisper. At that moment you decided not to let her lay in her own sorrow. She was too good for that. With a quick move, you stood up leaving Maddy to groan into the pillow

"I was comfy."

"There's a party tonight." You opened your closet, revealing multiple outfits out had bought not long ago.

"Which I have no intention of going to."

You groaned, throwing your head back as you spun to face her, walking to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Maddy. You can't let them get to you like that. Your Maddy fucking Perez."

"What if Nate's there? I didn't even call him-"

"Exactly! Show him you don't give a fuck."

"But I do-"

"Jesus. Get yourself together."

That seemed to do it. She signed and smiled at you, rolling her eyes sarcastically before sitting up.

"I fucking hate you." Her smile remained on her lips, eyes falling onto your lips. You hadn't realised how close the two of you were. Quickly moving to find another outfit, she followed and the both of you threw out clothes until you could find something decent to wear.

—————————————————————

"Hey, guys." Kat greeted the both of you.

You and Maddy sat at the bar, drinks in hand as you listened to the loud beat of the music. Cassie wasn't there yet, that's if she even decided to show up. Nate was definitely there, Maddy saw him walk through the entrance and her first instinct was to scowl.

"Hey, Kat." You smiled back at her, noticing her worried gaze at Maddy

The last thing Maddy wanted to do was talk about what happened the day before. Yes, she wanted to show Nate she didn't care even though she did. She simply didn't want to talk to anyone about it, especially not Kat.

She turned her head to you after saying hi herself. A small smile played on her lips, before she swallowed the rest of her drink.

"Dance with me." She grabbed your hand, pulling you into the dance floor where many many others were dancing along with the rhythm of the music. It took you by surprise, but followed her anyway.

Your hips started to move with hers, bodies clashing into each other as everyone laughed and sang along. Maddy's hands didn't shy away, grabbing your waist and pulling you closer.

Maybe she was drunk. Hell- you weren't exactly sober yourself, but she was being bold and you were living for it.

You let her hands roam your body until the song ended, the new one already playing without a stop. You ended up with your arms around her neck, her arms hugging your torso lightly.

You watched her as she smirked, eyes scanning your face before they landed on your lips.

She wasn't thinking, quickly but swiftly she leaned in, pushing her lips into yours. It took you by surprise, the initial action made you freeze. You've imagined this so many times, but dreams can't defeat reality in that moment.

When she pulled away, noticing your lack of movement, she was worried she stepped too far.

"What was that about?" You relaxed, breathing out shyly and trying to hide how flustered you had gotten. But your failed-to be-hidden smile gave it away almost immediately. You sneakily looked around pretending to look for someone, Nate maybe, since her action could be justified as a jealousy trip to him.

"Nothing. I just felt like kissing you."

"What?"

"Want me to show you again?"