EIGHT

Wearing a bright and cheerful expression, Odette Albinius stepped into the field. All the eyes were on her as she walked in. Nicholas and Mireille followed after her.

After a polite bow, Odette raised her head and swept her eyes across the field. Since such evaluation happened on a regular basis, Odette did not recall much about the evaluation unless or until something important occurred.

By that, she could judge that this was one of those unimportant evaluation.

Her eyes fell on the distant and grand seat, which stood out from everything else. Her father, the duke, sat on top of it, and his face displayed how much he anticipated it. It was cruel yet expected from her father to be this enthusiastic about his children sparring.

Beside her father was the Duchess, Octavia Albinius, and other women of her father— without a proper title and with a children— was on the smaller seats beside the Duchess.

A nonchalant expression sat on the Duchess face. The Duchess had a son and a daughter— Richard Albinius and Penelope Albinius. The Duchess was the daughter of the late emperor and half sister of the current emperor. But her status did not make her father fearful for her.

As for her children, Richard was a year older than Odette, and he was most skilled one among all of them. Her father favoured him the most out all of his child.

However, the same could not be said for her daughter. Penelope was a girl of a fearful nature, and no matter how much the Duchess attempted to pressurize her, the result would turn out to be negative.

Out of all the daughters he had, Odette was the strongest one, and Damian believed that she is the most similar to him.

Despite Richard's skills, his softhearted nature and lack of cruelty made Damian disappointed. Up until now, Damian's training was unable to change that.

Knowing how the future will be turning out well, Odette was aware of what feat Richard will be achieving.

Then, Odette noticed her mother's presence. Valentina was a prostitute sold off by her parents at a young age. Although things were no favourable for a prostitute, due to her cunning nature, Valentina's cunning nature, she was able to reach such a position.

Her father had taken a liking to her mother and decided to keep her as one of his women. After the birth of her, her mother trained her to be the perfect lady her father would prefer, and coupled with her mother's personality, maybe that was why she turned out to be like this.

Even to her other siblings, she was considered strange, and sooner or later, she was aware that most of them were going to terrified of her. Everyone had small groups within them, except for her, Odette.

At the very beginning, she was saddened by that. However, her mother had taught her about how those people were worthless and would be beneath her. She should not lower herself to that level. Her mother was right. She indeed rose to a position above them.

Her mother was indeed too smart of a woman, and if she was not born in such a family, Valentina would have been able to accomplish great things. Indeed, it was a pity.

"Take a seat," Damian ordered.

Upon hearing those words from her father, Odette turned towards the left and saw that many of her siblings being seated. Odette did not know exactly how siblings she had, and she doubted her father was aware of that.

Her father did not lack in resources in order to provide for them, and naturally, he did not care about such trivial matters unless or until they were able to prove themselves.

As long as the child has worth, her father would hold them as the apple of his eyes, but after that worth was over, the child would be discarded. This aspect was truly frightening.

Although everyone here are brothers and sisters, they took each other to be rivals. Everyone desired to be at a better position, and many did not mind resorting to dirty tricks for that. But only a few were capable of carrying that out.

For this evaluation, top ten of her siblings were present— the ones who were capable of sparring—and Penelope was present as an exception since she was the daughter of the Duchess.

Unlike her mother, the Duchess was warm to her child and fond of them despite of how they were. Although she pushed them, ultimately she did not put in as much as effort as her mother.

Then again, the Duchess did not have as much as desperation as her mother. Valentina's position was temporary, and she was willing to do anything to maintain that.

Amongst all of the siblings, Richard had the most lavish chair, and that showed his status. As for Odette, her chair was second, and rest had ordinary seating arrangements.

One of her father's guard— most likely a commander of a unit— stepped forward and loudly voiced out, "The fight will be beginning now. The partners are decided according to the ability.

The current rank— from strongest to weakest— is Lord Richard, Lady Odette, Lord Edmund, Lord Edgar, Lady Violetta, Lord Alfred, Lord Alphonse, Lord Cornelius, Lord Elijah, and Lady Vivienne.

The weakest one will fight the second weakest one, and that means, Lady Vivienne will be sparring with Lord Elijah. If she is able to beat him, Lady Vivienne's position will be upgraded to the ninth position, and she will challenging Lord Cornelius.

This will be continued until she is defeated, and that's where her position will be determined. After this reaches up to Lord Richard, this will end. Since the Duke doesn't have much time in his hand, those who takes more than ten minutes will be punished. With that, let this commence."