Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Chapter Twenty-Five

Maddie

I didn't realize just how much I missed him until tonight. I mean, don't get me wrong, I knew I had wanted him in my life, but after tonight seeing him with my family I just fell in love with him all over again. I had forgotten just how much he fit in. How much everyone loved him, including me.

I'm in just a t-shirt when he comes back into my bedroom. He had grabbed us both a drink after we had finished my incredible first round of birthday sex, and honestly, I don't think I've ever seen him hotter. He's wearing just a pair of his briefs, his abs fully on display to me, and his curls are all tousled from my fingers running through them.

It's not until he lays down beside me that I see him pass over a card.

"What's this?" I smile and twirl it between my fingertips, seeing my name scribbled in his chicken scratch handwriting on the front of the pink envelope.

"It's for you," he replies, stating the obvious. "Open it, please."

He shouldn't have gotten me anything else after he gave me the most gorgeous bracelet I've ever seen, but I refrain from starting an argument and open it up. It's a generic birthday card from the looks of it, but as I peel it open, a check falls out onto my lap. I can already see a ridiculous amount of zeros.

"Cam," I warn with shaking fingers as I grasp the check, but he holds his hand up to stop me.

"Please," he begs. "You're going on that damn study abroad program. It's going to make you a better doctor in the future, and I know you hate asking for money, but please, let me do this one thing for you."

Tears are streaming down my cheeks, and I'm trying to control myself but I just can't. I don't know why I'm feeling sad right now. I should be feeling so happy, but as cool as this experience will be I also know that it means I'm going to be three months away from him after I just got him back.

"There's no way it's going to be that much," I whisper as I continue to stare at the check. "It's so much money."

"If you really can't accept all of it then we'll just put the rest in Izzy's trust fund."

"Her what?"

"Her trust fund," he repeats. "She's set for life. Trust me."

I swear I'm dreaming. There's no way this is my actual life right now. A part of me feels like I don't deserve this, but for once I'm not going to fight him on it. As sad as I am about leaving him I know I should go. It'll make me a better doctor. It'll benefit my career in the long run.

Crawling on top of him, I place a kiss on his lips. "Thank you," I whisper. "For just...everything. For believing in me, for all the gifts, for just...everything. I love you so much."

"I love you too." He smiles and kisses me quickly, gently pushing me off of him so he can grab a box from the floor. "Last one. I promise."

"Cam. What the hell?" I laugh in disbelief when it lands in front of me, eyeing it out of curiosity. "You didn't have to buy me literally anything else. You're insane."

"Oh, I didn't." He chuckles as I unwrap the ribbon and lift the lid. "This was already yours."

Peeling away the tissue paper, his high school jersey is sitting in front of me. I had mailed it back to his dorm room after he ended things two years ago. I was bitter, wanting to get rid of everything in sight that reminded me of him. I regretted it immediately afterward.

The fabric feels familiar as I tug it close to my chest. It smells just like him, and I smile at the memories. This jersey holds so much meaning to both of us, and I'm glad he gave it back.