Chapter 18 | Ritual Mysery

Sarah's p.o.v

I drunkenly stumbled up to Kirk's front door and rang the doorbell, instantly hearing footsteps.

The door opened, and Kirk looked shocked to see me.

"It's not the pizza, Lars!" he hollered. He gestured for me to come inside. "Come in, Sarah. What brings you here?".

"Me and James..." I started to say as I stepped inside. "We...".

"What happened?".

I fell to my knees and let out a series of loud sobs. I felt so terrible about the fight I had with James.

"What's going on?" I heard Lars say.

"I don't know." Kirk sighed. He kneeled down and wrapped his arms around me. "What happened with you and James?".

"W-w-we got into a f-f-fight." I said, wiping my eyes and throwing my arms around Kirk. I saw Lars, his girlfriend Skylar, and Kirk's girlfriend Lani staring at me, confused. My head began spinning, a wave of nausea briefly washing over me.

"Wanna come outside and have a cigarette? I think you should try and calm down." Kirk told me.

I agreed and we went out to his backyard.

I sat on a lawn chair and looked up at the stars. "We swore at each other." I sighed, the warm California night air kissing my bare arms and calves.

"What was the fight about? Or can I ask that?" Kirk asked me.

"I'm really fucking pissed at him right now because I feel terrible! We're both ruining ourselves with alcohol!" I shouted. Kirk handed me a cigarette and I shoved it in my mouth, crossing my legs and tossing my messy hair back.

He lit my cigarette and I heard the back door open.

"Hey! Sarah! What's going on?" Lars asked me.

"Well," I sighed, putting my cigarette in the ashtray beside me. "Me and James got into a fight.".

"Oh, no.". Lars handed me and Kirk each a beer.

"Y'know, he promised me back in spring that he'd help me get better! But he's done nothing to help me! Absolutely fucking nothing!" I shouted. I took a long sip of my beer, tears stinging my eyes. "He never keeps his promises. Ever. But I still love him.".

"Have you told him yet?" Lars asked.

I sighed deeply and ran my fingers through my hair. "No.".

"You should! It's been what, seven years now, and you still haven't said 'I love you'! Are you ever gonna say it?!".

Kirk looked up at Lars, narrowing his eyes. "Don't yell at Sarah." he said, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Hey, how did you get here tonight?".

"I drove.".

"Okay, never do that again.".

"YOU COULD'VE DIED!" Lars shouted.

"Lars, chill out!" Kirk told him.

I heard the backdoor open. "What the hell is going on!" a female voice shouted. I turned around to look, and it was Skylar.

"Everything's fine, honey!" Lars hollered across the yard.

"Better be!" Skylar shouted back, the back door slamming shut.

"Okay, anyway, Sarah, are you still afraid that James doesn't love you?" Kirk asked me.

"Yeah." I replied, taking a sip of my beer.

"You won't know unless you tell him, though.".

"Yeah, I know. I just... I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't.".