Chapter 31 | Something so Good, Just Can't Function no More

"I love you girls, you know that, right?" I asked Sarah and Blair as we drove home from Lars' in my truck.

"We love you, too, James." Sarah told me.

Joy Divisions' Love Tear us Apart played on the radio and we coursed down the highway. Without really thinking about it, I put one hand on Sarah's leg.

She can't leave me. I need her. I thought.

"Can we get a snack or something?" Blair asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Fine. Wanna go to 711?" I asked her.

"Yeah.".

I turned off the highway at the next turnoff, not at all annoyed with Blair's request. I was a bit hungry myself.

After picking up a box of chicken wings, we went back home.

"You gonna have some, babe?" I asked Sarah as me and Blair sat at the island in the kitchen, pigging out on our chicken wings.

She sat down at the barstool beside me, looking down at the box of chicken wings. "They're tempting," she admitted. "But, really, I can't. It's eleven thirty; I can't eat this late.".

"Alright.".

I gazed at her, admiring her beauty. Long, silky, blonde hair, plump lips, high cheekbones, gorgeous blue eyes, also a great personality… she really was all I could ever ask for.

Once Blair was in bed, we sat out on the front porch. There was a certain subject I didn't want to bring up, but I felt like I had to.

"I'm always gonna love you." I told Sarah, wrapping an arm around her waist to bring her closer to me. I gazed into her blue eyes. "You know that, right?".

"I know, James." she said, resting her forehead against mine. "I'll always love you, too. You're my favorite person alive. Well, you, Blair, and Kirk are tied for first place.".

I smirked, pressing my lips to her ear. "What about Lars?" I whispered.

She giggled, putting her arms on my shoulders and looking up at me, a smile on her face. "He's… he's second place.".

"I get that, babe.".

She rested her head on my shoulder, and for a few minutes, we just sat in comfortable silence. She gazed up at the stars millions of lightyears away, making me think of that night we had years ago when we skinny- dipped in a lake. What we had was so good.

My heart sped up as the thought of losing what we had crossed my mind. I needed her.

"You wanna know something?" I asked, running my fingers through Sarah's hair.

"Yeah?" she replied.

"You're the first woman I've ever truly loved.".

She looked up at me, smirking. "What about your mom?".

"Well, but that's different.".

She nodded. "Yeah, it is.".

"I mean, I fucked so many groupies back in the day, y'know? I just… put my dick in anything that had two legs, a pussy, and big tits. But you… you're… I… I love you, Sarah. Not just because you're beautiful and for the sex... even though the sex is pretty great." I said. I looked down at her and noticed she was blushing. "You wouldn't really leave for New York, would you?".

The smile disappeared from her face. "Oh… oh James…" she started to say.

"Please, babe. I don't want you to go. None of us do!".