15

Ice was a cute little frozen dessert place down on Main. It was decorated with thousands of tasteful fairy lights and had cozy seating, lots of plants and was generally considered the date place.

Winter hated the fact that Ryujin had taken Karina there. When someone took you to Ice they were usually serious about you, or serious about getting into your pants.

She and Aeri slipped inside and the host guy smiled and offered to seat them. As they followed him to their booth Winter's eyes searched the place frantically, and when her eyes finally found Karina sitting opposite Ryujin she sucked in a sharp breath. It was almost as if she'd forgotten how beautiful her best friend was in the time since she last saw her and was somehow shocked anew. Which was obviously crazy.

"There," Winter tugged on Aeri's sleeve. Karina was smiling at Ryujin. It wasn't her happy smile, but she didn't look distressed either. "This is a bad idea."

"It's not."

"She wants to be with Ryujin."

"She doesn't know she has other options."

"So I just go over there and tell her?" Winter asked as they sat, taking a menu each. She could still see Karina, but the brunette hadn't looked up and spotted her.

"I think that should do it," Aeri said without looking up from the menu, "Mmm, triple chocolate fudge sounds amazing."

"Aeri, focus," Winter pressed the menu to the table and then scowled, "Karina doesn't even like crappy food like this. Ryujin doesn't know her at all."

"Come on Winter, even Karina likes chocolate!"

"You're no help," Winter groused, slumping back in her seat.

"Look at her, sat there with your girl, her hand on the middle of the table. Who the fuck puts there hand on the middle of the table unless they're hoping their date is gonna take the hint and hold it. Did you cover hand holding during your lessons?" Aeri's words were designed to rile her up and it worked. Just the thought of Ryujin holding Karina's hand turned her eyes red. If Karina wanted Ryujin she could take her - all she was doing was letting her best friend know her options. She stood.

"Yay, go Winter," Aeri gave a soft cheer and Winter marched across the place and stood beside Karina's table feeling like a character in some tacky 80s romcom movie.

"Winter," Karina's eyes widened and she stared at her.

"Errr...is there a problem?" Ryujin's question was merely an echo in Winter's ears because Karina was looking at her and she had a strand of hair stuck on those pretty lips and she wanted nothing more than to swipe it out the way, tuck it behind her ear and then kiss her. She shook her head a little and tried to focus rather than stand there dumbly.

"Are you okay, Winter?" Karina looked so concerned, her brow furrowing.

"Not really," she shook her head and Karina stood and took her hand. Winter's eyes dropped to Karina's hand holding hers and she shut her eyes for a moment, trying to calm herself.

"What's the matter? Winter?" Karina stepped out from beside the booth.

"I seem to be having a huge problem with jealousy," she answered, "I never really understood why they called it the green eyed monster until now, but right now I think I'd sell my soul to get you away from her and back into my bed." There was silence. She looked up and stared at Karina's shocked face, every line screaming her surprise.

"You're jealous?" her sweet voice was faint.

"When the girl you're half naked in bed with, when the girl you've spent the day having sex with, when the girl you're in love with - when she arranges a date with someone else from your bed, yeah, you get jealous. And sad. And angry. And maybe run away because you don't want to say the wrong thing and because it's all a lot to suddenly realize you're feeling. And I don't know what else, only that I've never felt this many things all at once."