Chapter 24 - Thank You

August 24th, 1985
11:32 P.M.

It's been two weeks since Elizabeth's death and since you've seen Michael. You're sitting in the living room with Henry watching some random show he put on. "Still nothing?" He asks. "Nope." All your friends including you have tried calling him multiple times but he doesn't answer anybody. You told them what happened a few days after the incident since they called you asking why Michael won't answer the phone. You knew he wouldn't tell them himself, but they deserved some kind of explanation, you didn't go into detail though, you decided that it's up to Michael whether or not he wants to tell that part. You just said his sister died and that was it. You've gone to his house and knocked for minutes but nobody answers, not even William. You ride your bike past his house a few times a day just in case something's changed, hoping you'll be able to at least see him through the windows to make sure he's okay, but the blinds are never open anymore. If Williams car wasn't in the driveway and if you weren't able to see the lights through the blinds at night, the house would basically look abandoned.

The breeze from Michaels cracked window blows gently through his hair. He sits in the dark on his bed with his feet hanging off the side, doing this for hours has become a habit of his now."I wonder how much longer I'm going to be like this, I can't do anything. Can't sleep, can't eat, can't answer the phone, can't get up- nothing. I know it's hurting me, but I don't really care. I don't have the energy to care"

You're starting to get really worried about him. As a commercial break comes on you start to think. "I've got to come up with a plan to see him, but what can I do? Calling won't work, knocking won't work, I gotta literally drag this boy out of his house- wait a minute" you look at the clock "I mean.. William is probably asleep by now and Henry's definitely going to bed soon, so what if I just..."  You stretch your arms up and fake a long yawn "I'm gonna go to bed I'm really tired"

"Alright then, goodnight" he smiles. "Goodnight Henry". As soon as you close your door you start to  get ready. It's pretty cool out for a summer night in Utah, 62° F (16° C) so you throw on a hoodie with shorts. Henry doesn't check on you during the night, so there's no need to stuff your bed with pillows to make it look like you're sleeping. You open your window quietly and swing one leg out and onto a tree that's thankfully directly right outside your window. You reach for a branch and pull yourself out smoothly. "Perfect" you climb down and run into the garage to grab your bike.

You didn't have to be super quiet with getting into it since the garage has a little side door you can just open instead of opening the door that you would to park your car inside. When you flick on the light you spot a table covered with all sorts of random stuff. As you get closer to it, something catches your eyes. "NO WAY". Theres multiple spray paint cans in the middle of all the stuff on the table. "Oh I'm totally taking these with me" you look around and spot a backpack on the ground "Well that's convenient, good thing Henry's garage is more of a workshop and has random crap in here"  You toss two of the cans inside the backpack and wheel your bike out.

The wind blows your hair back as you cruse down the quiet street. "I'm excited to see him, I really am- i don't think we've ever been apart for this long, but based on what's been happening these past two weeks I'm nervous to see how he's doing. Those aren't good signs..."

Before you know it you almost speed by the Afton house lost in thought. The metal parts of the bike makes a clanging sound as you abruptly break in front of the house. Quickly hopping off the bike, you wheel it to the backyard. You set it down on the grass carefully, not wanting to make too much noise and you look up to Michaels room- it's dark. "I know he's not asleep" As you look around for a way to get up there, you notice a rusty pipe leading up to his window. "Well that better be strong enough to support me or else Williams going to wake up to one loud ass noise" Climbing up the pipe, you balance yourself on the slightly slanted roof. The blinds are closed, preventing you from seeing inside. While trying to look in, you notice that the window'scracked a little bit. "I mean I don't want to give him a heart attack so I guess I'll just knock" . You knock softly and wait a few moments. He doesn't come to the window. "Alright whatever, he chose not to answer so heart attack it is". Sliding the window up slowly, you climb in. The room is dark like how you saw from the outside. You start to pull up the blinds to let some light in so you can actually see.