Chapter 2

Carl watched as Alex perused the contracts and documents of his artist. If he didn't know this person, he would've been pissed with his half-assed attitude.

"If you really hate it, why don't you complain and refuse like what you've always been doing."

A mysterious look flashed past Alex's eyes.

"How can I pass up the opportunity of managing Brother Carl's treasure? With her looks and abilities, it wouldn't be a loss for me for sure," he playfully said.

If not for the lazy look he had, Carl would have almost believed it. He internally rolled his eyes.

"You're i-don't-give-a-f**k face betrayed your sweet mouth."

Alex shrugged in response. He, obviously, wasn't keen on divulging his reasons. And Carl wasn't also too nosy to pry information out of him. He respected his choice.

They discussed all the relevant materials. Carl stood up to leave and took his coat that he had left on the armchair.

He walked toward Alex and placed a hand on his shoulders. "Please take care of Lilian."

That enthusiastic and honest kid has been under his wing for a couple of years. He felt like a father entrusting his daughter to her husband. He was reluctant—bitterly reluctant.

Alex was aware of how Carl valued Lilian.

He raised his head and stared at him straight in the eyes. Alex wanted him to see his resolve. He promised. "Leave her to me."

He chose this. Of course he needed to take responsibility.

Carl was relieved by his reassuring words and laughed. "Good, good. As always, you never disappoint."

He was worried that Lilian would be wronged. He trusted Alex, but his fatherly affection couldn't sit still when he knew that this man in front of him was notorious for rejecting other artists. Maybe in the place where he couldn't see, Lilian would suffer.

But with Alex giving his word, he could now rest his worries.

He was just three years older than Alex, but managing Lilian made him feel more mature than his age. Heh, should he now start worrying about his hair turning gray?

***

Alex was left alone. He put down the papers he had been holding and stretched his arms up. The stiffness slowly subsided. After a long day of work, he could now take a breather.

He wasn't in a hurry to go home as he hummed softly and swiveled in his chair a couple of times.

Under a dim light in the spacious room, an upbeat tone could be heard from the man. His eyes were closed, and his mouth was shut. He was lost in his thoughts; no one knew what he was thinking. The only hint was the sorrowful smile that didn't fit him at all.

***

The sunlight fell upon Irene's cheek.

Sleeping for over eight hours invigorated her. She stared dazedly at the white ceiling and released a long sigh.

"I'll save you." Irene smiled.

She had already come to terms with everything during the couple of minutes that she was awake. At present, she was ready to feed her rumbling stomach.

Before she could lift herself up, the mechanical sound reappeared.

Her temple twitched. She was getting ticked off by the system's way of communicating.