Chapter 13

It was the next day, and Irene slept in since she didn't have anything scheduled for today. She stayed up last night coaching Lilian step by step, picking out the details each time Lilian deviates from the character.

It wasn't until midnight when Lilian produced acceptable results, and Irene was at ease to finally let the both of them sleep.

As of the moment, the dog-tired Irene was blissfully cozying up with her blanket while the curtain in her room formed a tightly woven blockage preventing the sunlight from accessing her abode.

While at it, her student was, presently, on stage, performing her piece in front of the judge for the second time.

Without the coach, Lilian's only supporter, Maine, stood at the side like a mom teetering in anxiety and panic as she sat in the audience with a camera at hand waiting for her child's turn in her first ever talent show.

It was nerve-wracking. No one wished for their child to be humiliated in public, AGAIN.

Vince, as the director, aka the judge, has now tempered his emotions compared to yesterday. He was the calm ocean on a sunny day, intimidating, but the sailors were out of harm's way.

Just pray that the weather wouldn't pull the carpet from under everyone's feet. After all, the weather was fickle.

Vince was checking the monitor and in the process caught sight of Lilian captured by the camera.

Lilian was playing the role of Maggie Brown, Hannah's best friend.

As the same age as the protagonist, Maggie emitted an innocent and bubbly persona. It shouldn't have been a problem for Lilian. These two personalities were innate in her; in theory, she could act these with her eyes closed.

But that was the problem.

In the presence of the lenses, only her name changed. Her bobbing head, her glistening eyes, and her sweet smile—all of those were Lilian Chambers. It wasn't Maggie Brown.

Maggie's pureness was the product of the perfect world that was Eden.

Lilian's was not. Lilian's pureness was a choice. She chose to be good. She chose to forgive. And she chose to forget. It was her discretion to live like this.

Lilian went through others dissatisfaction, loathing, favor, and love toward her. But she let it pass her.

Some condemned her for being foolish, and some would even say she was overcompensating. Overcompensating for what? Couldn't a person be good just because she wanted to with no strings attached?

The main point was that Maggie and Lilian's upbringing made them antithetical to each other, and Lilian had to realize that.

In a flat tone, Vince called Lilian over.

Lilian perked up at the sound of her name. She turned her body to the source of the voice and discovered Vince's stoic gaze meeting hers. Her spine slightly curled, timid.

Vince stayed seated in his chair as Lilian went near him. "I don't have to repeat my words from yesterday, do I?"

His sentence fell on Lilian and she immediately shook her head. Her voice trembled. "I..." She coughed and continued, this time with more confidence. "I can do it."

Vince silently raised an eyebrow at her as she gradually gained a semblance of fortitude. Not bad.

He thought Lilian would mope around for the rest of the day after what transpired, but he seemed to be mistaken. "Go back. We'll now start."