Chapter 15

It was the next day.

Irene felt sh*ttier that ever. An indescribable irritation and sorrow washed over her the moment she woke up. The bruises and scratches yesterday have just exacerbated everything.

Her heart was so stuffy. Her head was aching. She wanted to lie in bed all day.

Good for her that she actually had nothing to do today.

Yesterday after her wounds were treated, Alex directly approached Vince and "requested" a three days off for her.

Of course, the "kind" Vince gladly granted it and even gave Alex a smile—if you could even call that a smile—as he agreed.

Irene, who was feeling blue and frustrated, with all difficulty, got out of bed and grabbed herself a glass of water to moisten her throat.

She was searching for medicine to ease her headache, but she remembered she left her stash of medications in her apartment.

Irene's body was dragging her down. She didn't want to leave the room and run down to the nearest pharmacy. Plus, interacting with others right now and asking them to do something for her would probably suck up all her remaining energy.

She wished to be alone.

Irene's shoulders slumped, and she exhaled a defeated sigh. The f*ck's happening.

Right then, her phone that she left unattended rang. Irene shifted in bed and tried to go back to sleep.

Still, her phone kept ringing.

Irene covered her head with a pillow intending to drown out the noise, but it was a fail.

It kept ringing, and ringing, and — "Ugh." she groaned through her pillow, "What the heck is this now."

Irene unwillingly sat up and fetched her phone from the bedside table.

When she read the caller's name: "Ohhhh."

It was Alex.

Deep breaths.

Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale.

Her throbbing head pinched her, and she winced in pain. "Sh*t."

Endure, Irene, she said to herself.

Bringing back an ounce of rationality, Irene cleared her throat and answered the call.

"It's 9 am. Where are you? Do your wounds hurt that badly? We'll go to the hospital first so a doctor could check it. I knew I shouldn't have listened to you; we should've gone to the hospital." Alex was distressed.

"My wounds are fine. I just have a headache." Irene dismissed his worries. "Do you need me for something?"

Upon hearing her words, Alex paused and then massaged his temples. "Right. We'll go to the hospital first."

"Wha—" Irene was cut off.

"It's final, and I won't change my mind. Thank God I already bought the flowers. From the hospital, we'll go directly to the cemetery. Come on, I'm downstairs."

Cemetery...... Irene hurriedly ended the call and scanned the notifications she ignored that morning.

[Calendar: Death Anniversary]

It was today. The inexplicable exhaustion, sorrow, and pain she underwent were remnants of the original Irene's grief. It was so strong that even she, a different soul, could experience the agony.