Chapter 11

The light coming off from the lamp shade drew warmth to the haggard Irene.

The moon was in its full glory, illuminating the cloudless, dark sky above.

Irene laid on her side, facing the bedside table. She was in deep thoughts when a ring came up.

She picked the phone only to see Riley's name. Laying on her back, Irene paused for a moment before pressing the green button.

Before she could offer her greetings, Riley's sharp voice was heard from the phone's speaker.

"Why didn't you tell me you're in the same movie as Hattie?! And directed by Vince at that!"

Irene winced and held her phone away from her ear. Her ears stung after that sudden onslaught.

"Good evening to you too," Irene's calm voice responded.

Riley realized her outburst caused an unintended harm and regulated her tone after. "Sorry. I was just caught off guard by the news."

Irene didn't take that as an offense; it was uncomfortable, but there was nothing more to it. Saying stuff like "no worries'' or "it's okay" would only make Riley guiltier, and Irene was disinclined to do that.

Irene sat up and leaned on the headboard. "I apologize. You're currently working on a novel, so I decided not to tell you this. I didn't want to disturb you."

Riley was partially cajoled. "You don't have to be considerate of me. I'm your best friend. I'm worried. Heck, what if Hattie conspires against you? I'm pretty sure she'll make you the bad guy of the crew."

"She won't." Irene was confident.

Riley and Irene's latest encounter with Hattie brought back Riley's condemnation toward Hattie. So, Riley couldn't help herself and called Irene after hearing the news of them being in the same film.

It would've helped Riley's frustration if the cast were announced ahead of time; it would serve as her cushion to fall on, and she wouldn't have shouted in the first place. But, no. All of this would be done during post-production. Vince didn't plan on announcing the cast before the production was complete.

If not because of Riley's connections, she would have stayed oblivious to such news until it was advertised.

Riley, who was staring at a word processing software, felt conflicted.

She knew her woes were exaggerated, but she really couldn't see eye to eye with Hattie.

Irene spoke. "Maybe she'll do that to you since she hates you more, but she's restrained around me. She has to reconsider her actions if she wants to mess with me. I didn't reach this status in the industry for nothing." It was evident.

"Do you hear what you're saying right now?" This was why Riley hated Hattie. "My background shouldn't dictate how I'm treated."

Though Riley was getting riled up, Irene's tone was constant as ever. "But you can't control Hattie, can you? You're not her mom who she has to listen to. It's up to her if she's open to a new perspective or not. You should leave her be."

Riley stopped talking. Irene could hear placating mumbles from Riley's side, suppressing her anger.

Irene let Riley compose herself and stayed quiet.

After doing it for over a minute, Riley spoke steadily. "You still have to be cautious."

Irene's lips curved, gratified by Riley's care. "I know. And I will." Plus, I'm quite confident I won't be her focus in this film.