Chapter 5

The concord of the melody of the piano and the warm ambience of the restaurant was just what the inhabitants of B City needed.

A waiter led Alex and Irene into a private room.

This welcome banquet was supposed to be for Lilian. But she opted out, saying that she needed to get acquainted with her assistant.

She needs to step up her game, Irene thought. Even at a mile away, anyone could see that lame excuse.

In fact, without Lilian noticing, Irene picked up her cry of victory when they separated, as if she just got out of a grueling interview—it was do or die, people!

Nonetheless, it was already booked and wasting money was a big no - no. So here she was with the host, and that blushing cutie-pie was nowhere to be seen.

To think that this maverick before her actually broke his years-long streak twice in a day stumped Irene. First, he accepted another artist. Second, he opened a backdoor for the said actress. He was more unusual than she was.

Lamentably, all she could do was conjure up infinite probabilities about why he did that. The novel's plot wasn't given to her, so the how's and why's of the characters could only be discerned through the original's memory and on what she saw in them.

So far, she was stuck on a tough question. But, if you could ask for help, of course you should.

Thus Irene said, "What's with Lilian?"

The receiver, Alex, understood what she implied behind those words. Yet, like with Carl, he was disinclined to share anything. He took a moment to respond.

Alex asked back, "What's with Vince?"

Despite saying she wanted a blockbuster, Alex didn't believe her.

But, since she didn't want to talk about it, he wouldn't force her. People had their own secrets. He was aware of that. He also knew full well how important privacy was to every individual. Hence, he would naturally respect her choice.

Since he didn't want to answer her, he backfired her question.

They were at a standstill.

His lackadaisical posture and the glee in his eyes were awful to Irene. F*ck.

She perceived his unwillingness. Well, at least I tried.

She didn't dwell on it more and moved on.

Irene dove back to her sea of theories. What a chore...

With no one wanting to budge, the both of them came to a ceasefire and went on with their lunch.

In the middle of cutting his steak, Irene shot Alex a question all of a sudden. "So where's mine?"

Alex's hold on the knife loosened. He stared at her and questioned, "What do you mean?"

"You now have more on your plate. I guessed that I would also have an assistant to lighten your load."

"Oh." His straight lips morphed into an arc, and his eyes turned crescent. "Why? Are you already sick of this nanny of yours?" Implying to himself.

Inside Irene's head, she already threw her hands in the air dismissively. F*ck off.

She studied him, and then slowly leaned on the back of her chair.

Two can play at this game.

Irene smirked. "Yes."

"No!!!" He feigned crestfallen and covered his face with both of his hands. His body went limp.