Chapter 17

"It's already been three days. What's going on, Alex?" Carl's worried intonation propagated from the phone on Alex's table.

"I'm doing my best. Denying the rumors would only be in vain. The person behind this spent a lot of money to get the paparazzi on their side. This will last for a while." Not a sliver of Alex's happy-go-lucky façade was left on his face.

In contrast to the morning sun illuminating the office, the conversation of the two was as dreary as the tundra's night.

Carl knew that this wasn't one of the mundane rumors of the entertainment industry, enormous powers were at play. In apprehension, he uttered the following words between his teeth. "Are they also the one who pushed you to sign a new artist?"

Alex was silent while holding a glass of water in his hand.

Carl drew a sharp breath.

Alex eyed the constant change in the sequence of the numbers on the brightly lit phone.

It has been 14 minutes since the call started.

"Do you regret it?" Alex voiced out with a vestige of self deprecation. The pearl that you've been treasuring has been tainted because of me.

A second passed before a spiritless sound came. Carl reasoned out. "What's there to regret? If Lilian's with me, she'll forever be labeled as mediocre. I can't create wings for her to fly to the summit. Besides, it's not your fault that someone above has their brain filled with water, creating such a malicious rumor to drag you down, tsk."

Carl didn't dare to explore this subject and shifted the topic before Alex could react.

The two talked for a few more minutes before hanging up.

Alex's dull stare was glued to the phone until it completely went black. His upright back slouched, and he leaned his head on the backrest of his chair while resting his eyes.

***Flashback***

Carl walked toward Alex and placed a hand on his shoulders. "Please take care of Lilian."

Alex raised his head and stared at him straight in the eyes. Alex wanted him to see his resolve. He promised. "Leave her to me."

He chose this. Of course, he needed to take responsibility.

Carl was relieved by his reassuring words and laughed. "Good, good. As always, you never disappoint."

***End of Flashback***

A chilly laugh escaped from Alex's mouth. His jaw was clenched, and he covered his face with his right hand, imitating the form of a claw, seemingly wanting to rip his face apart.

The fingers on his left hand turned white as he tightly gripped on to the glass.

The glass only had as much tensile strength as it could hold before it buckled. Saying so, a crack was heard in this piercing silence and the glass shattered into pieces.

At its last moments, the glass mercilessly took its revenge. It didn't want its torturer to escape unscathed as it sliced and bored under its torturer's palms and fingers. Blood encased the slender hand, and drop by drop made a stain on the floor.

Regardless, the bearer of pain didn't flinch. A gruff whisper overshadowed everything that was happening. "I'm sorry."

***