Chapter 19

A two and a half minute trailer has been making waves on social media, occupying the top spot of every trending list.

~~~

Maggie's nerves were strung out as she remained agitated, looking at her pallid mother. "Baby's gotta listen to Zian, alright? We'll see each other again soon."

Maggie overheard her neighbors' shouts and hurried footsteps; armored trucks have entered and exited the compound since dawn.

The once peaceful neighborhood slowly turned rigid and tense.

Five hours after the armored trucks arrived, her mom barged into her room and packed her belongings.

Initially, she stood there dumbfounded, but then, as her closet got emptied, her pulse steadily started to jog until its pace made her feel weak to the bones.

A bad omen attached itself to Maggie's racing heart.

Done with packing her daughter's clothing and essentials, Adele wiped her clammy hands on her pants to conceal its shaking.

"Mo...ommy," Maggie choked out. "Where are we going?"

Adele sat on the bed right beside her daughter. "We're going on vacation together with Zian."

"Really?" Maggie wanted to believe her. But the more she listened to her mother, the more her heartbeat spread out of her body; she caught its rhythm ringing in her ears.

Her mother continued to speak. "But you and Zian will depart first. Mommy and daddy have something to take care of."

To suppress this foreboding, Maggie whispered her words. "Why? Can't we all go together? I can wait."

Adele saw her daughter's hunched back. She lowered head in agony. If only she could, she wouldn't want this vacation either. She could live her whole life without excessive wealth and power, as long as her family's intact... that's all that she desired.

But it was too late now. What's done is done. All she needed to ensure was her daughter's safety. I pray my daughter will out live this bloodshed.

Adele endured her eyes turning sour. She took her daughter in her arms and hugged her as tightly as she could while burying her head in Maggie's shoulders.

Maggie's anxiety increased further as her mother embraced her tighter. She responded to her mother's hug with an even firmer one.

Outside of the gated community, Maggie looked at her home, where she created many fond memories.

BOOM!!!

Maggie experienced the most haunting tinnitus in her life.

The ground rattled, shrouding her soul in waves of tremors.

Maggie's lips were painted white. Mommy! Daddy!

Her feet refused to budge as she picked up the muffled cries coming from her compound.

A stream of clear liquid ran down from both of her eyes, spotting the ground; they were red in anguish.

"Mommy!!! Daddy!!!" She made a run for it the moment she was able to lift her feet toward the compound.

Zian saw through her intent and grabbed her left arm.

Maggie went feral. She scratched the hand that grabbed her while also thrashing her arm to get rid of it.

She wanted to bite that hand off, but before she could act on her thoughts, another arm was wrapped around her waist.

Zian lifted Maggie up, disregarding the stinging claw marks in his arms.