C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y - O N E

The Birthday Blues

V A L E R I U S '    P O V :

A smile lightens up my face. I stare at my little girl who is continuing to grow everyday. I'm scared the days are passing too quickly.

I'm scared I'll blink and she'll be sixteen, completely embarrassed just by the presence of her papà.

Her bedsheets are twisted, her mouth is open, drool collecting on her pillow. Ellie's stuffed elephant is clutched in her hands loosely. I sit down gently next to her, the bed divots down.

My hands rub the back of her curly head gently. Ellie whines, a little more than a tired whine. Concern picks through me. I sit up straighter. Ellie lets a cry out. My hand pushes her hair out of the way to touch her forehead. She's burning up. Damnit.

"Ellie?" The back of my hand still rests on her forehead, feeling the heat radiating off of her. "Are you feeling okay?"

Her tired eyes open hazily and tears bellow in the bottom of her eyes, daring to shed. Her forehead crinkles in discomfort.

Ellie shakes her head no.

I click on her lamp and take in her pale complexion. She doesn't look very good. It's making me nervous.

Should we go to the hospital? How bad is it?

Okay. She's sick. Just sick. Nothing too serious. Don't freak out. You can handle sick. Just stay calm and help your daughter.

"Do you think you can sit up?"

Slowly, Ellie sits up. Her eyes flutter shut and her face contorts in discomfort. Oh no. Oh no. Shit!

"Ellie—"

Vomit. Vomit is on my shirt.. and my socks, and her bed and a little on her carpet.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. Fuck.

Okay. Okay, not panicking. Not going to panic.

I slowly peel my shirt from my body.

Ellie picks her head up, it sways dizzily. I pull her hair back with her ponytail that's always on my wrist. I lay my hand over her forehead and I feel her struggling to breath through her tears.

"Cazzo!" I hiss under my breath.

I look around but I don't find anything in time before Ellie throws up again. Ellie looks up to me with droopy eyes, tears fall down from her cheeks.

I'm sure she feels like complete shit right now.

I brush her baby hairs from her sweaty forehead and smile sadly at her.

"So much for a happy birthday then, huh baby?"

• • •

"Really, Val. It's just a stomach bug." Carlo hangs his stethoscope around his neck.

"I can't just go home with her like this! She's thrown up everything in her stomach! Isn't there something you can give her?"