T E N

The Truth Prevails

V A L E R I U S ' P O V :

"What are you doing?"

Katerina let's out a shriek, not expecting me to walk into our room.

Her shirt drops and she whips around to me.

"Nothing."

I raise a brow. "What's wrong?"

"I said it's nothing, V. Let it go." Her voice sounds tense like she on edge.

"You're beautiful, Katerina. Don't think you're not." I tell her because when I had walked in she had her hand to her stomach, staring at it oddly. I don't want her to think poorly of herself.

"What did you need?" She changes the subject.

"Come to dinner tonight. Not out.. I plan to cook. Be downstairs by seven?"

"Okay." She says with a small, forced smile.

I stop myself from questioning it any further.

"Okay." I agree with a curt nod.

• • •

I pour a little extra wine into Katerina's glass, hoping to get her slightly tipsy before I tell her my entire family is composed of serial murderers.

I hear the click of her heals coming down the stairs and walking around the corner.

"You look beautiful, Katerina." I tell her sincerely with a small, nervous smile.

I watch her throat bob like she's nervous.

I hope she doesn't already know. Why is she nervous too?

"Thanks."

She flattens her dress down with her hands.

I pull out her chair for her. I swallow the worry down and into my chest. I'm not sure what's up with Katerina but I can tell something is bothering her.

"Is this okay?" I nod towards the food and she nods for yes. I notice her nose scrunch like she's feeling discomfort for a moment.

Her eyes wire shut and she grabs her glass of wine quickly. When it's in her mouth though, Katerina spits it back into the glass just as fast. She coughs, grabbing a napkin and spitting her drink into it.

"Shit!" She hisses, angry. I jump up from the table and run to her side.

"What? What's wrong?"

Katerina takes a heavy breath to calm herself. She's starting to get mad. She pushes my hand off her back.

"N-Nothing! Just.. my stomach hurts. Can you just get me a water."

"Of course."

When everything is settled, we sit awkwardly at first. The way Katerina gazes at me makes me think she has something to hide but I know it's just me reflecting.

"Katerina." I'm first to break the uncomfortable silence. I notice she's barely touched her food, only taking slight sips of her water. "I need to speak to you about something important."

"Okay." She gives me a questioning glance.

I breathe out, biting my cheek.

"You asked me awhile ago how I knew to shoot and fight." She nods. "Katerina.. I'm in the mafia."