C H A P T E R - T H I R T Y

When the Stars Align Again

V A L E R I U S '   P O V :

I stare at the 'no wifi' signal on my phone with annoyance. My texts aren't going through and I want to know if everyone is alright. I need to check if they're on their way home.

It's pouring outside, thunder cracking. I'm worried it'll wake up Ellie.

"You called for me?" John walks into my room, calm.

"I need you to watch Ellie." I tell him. "I need to get in contact with my family and I have to use the wireless phone downstairs."

"Of course. I'll call Leon to my stance but he isn't supposed to be here for another hour. I'll bring someone else in his place until he gets my message."

I nod to him. I look to Ellie, sleeping soundly. The urge to hold her tightly consumes me but I hold myself back. I set her on the bed and off my lap. My lips press her cheek for a goodbye.

"Watch over her, John." I tell him sincerely.

"With my life." I nod to him, standing in front of the bed, keeping Ellie's protection.

All that can be heard is the hard patter of rain outside. The house is dark, I look for the switch. When I find it, I realize it's been turned off.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Someone cut my wifi, my power.. and I'm alone with no family, just guards. I know now that most of my guards are unreliable and some may still have a connection to the Russians. I've weeded most of them out but I'm not sure how many there are.

"Cazzo!" I mumble to myself. "John! Get Ellie!" I shout up the stairs in Italian. I pull out my gun and run upstairs.

I click it into position, trying my best to keep my mind steady. I notice how quiet it is upstairs, an unsettling feeling bellows in my stomach. I kick open the door to my room to find John on the ground with something sticking out of his neck. I don't see any blood. His body is lifeless on the floor, cold.

Ellie isn't anywhere to be seen.

I didn't hear her scream.

Fuck!

I worry for John, I do but, my daughter is my first priority. I run. I run the fastest I've ever fucking moved before.

I should've known something was going to happen. I should've been more prepared. I don't have a good feeling about this.

"Ellie!" I shout aimlessly. Then I shout again.. and again. "Eleonora.. where are you!?" I'm begging she's okay. I'm begging she's still here.

The lights flicker and I find them coming back on. All of the lights flicker back off but the lamp in the living room. I go running towards it, my gun pulled to position.

My heart drops still when I come to face what lies for me. One of my gate-guards, William holds Ellie tightly to him with a knife to her throat. He's kneeled so he's to her level. Ellie's tired and petrified eyes find mine. There's tape around her mouth, on her hands too.

My gun is pointed at his head and just as I go to shoot his skull, a click behind me halts my shot.

"Kill him and little Ellie will have to watch her papà bleed out."