C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Flatlined

V A L E R I U S '    P O V :

I know that beeping sound all too well. So, as the aggravating noise starts to become more clear.. I'm aware that I'm not gone yet. Meaning, the Russians have another thing fucking coming for them.

I hear some incoherent mumbling, voices sounding far away. I try to move but my body feels too heavy.

"Is he awake?" I hear someone almost gasp. I try to move my hands but there isn't any use.

"No he's moving for shits and giggles." They fire back. Sounds like my brothers.

I pry my eyes open to find Fabio standing over me like a hawk circling it's pretty. Marcello is at the doorframe with what looks like a bag of takeout. Again, I go to move but I feel stuck. Annoyance starts to stammer through me.

"How many days?" I rasp.

"Twelve. New record." Fabio takes a seat and snatches Mar's food bag as he walks closer to us.

"Shit." I groan at the awareness of the ache in my body becomes more prominent. "Where's—"

I'm cut off by Fabio pointing to my left. My eyes settle down to Ellie's sleeping form beside me. She's laying on my arm, no wonder I couldn't feel it. I relax at the sight of her unharmed.

"Wont leave your side." Fabio gives me a soft look. "Actually Savino tried to take her off you to give her a bath and she bit him."

I can't help but let out a short huff in amusement, closing my eyes in gratitude for my brothers.

My little devil-spawn.

"How are you?" Mar asks eagerly. He sits in a chair, opening his Chinese food.

"I just died, how do you think I feel?" I grumble back to him.

"Yeah, please don't do that again."

"How'd you know you flatlined?" Fabio enquires. He shoves a spoonful of rice into his mouth.

"I've never felt this drained after waking up in the hospital. Something had to be different." I shift so I can sit up a little, I hold my breath at the immediate sharp pain. "Where is everyone?"

"Nonna, Enzo and Papà are in Russia. They've already taken down two bases. Bisnonna is at home with Savino working behind the scenes on some data shit."

I sigh, trying to compose myself.

"I'm out for two weeks and more has already been done from the months I've had to do something." I shake my head, knowing that I've been screwing up. I'm not blind to my mistakes. I should have done better, I should have seen this coming.

This is my fault.

"It's not really fair of you to say that—" Marcello starts but I don't let him finish.

"No it is. I've had months to do shit but I couldn't figure any of it out. I should have gone straight to the source instead of trying to dissect all the small shit. I should've known better."

"No, Marcello is right, Val. This shit is a lot more personal for you than it is with anyone else. Katerina may have been a bitch but you loved her and he murdered her. He took your daughter, did whatever sick things he could've done to her. He's come for your title, got into your home, infiltrated your mafia. He's playing with your head, not papà's. That's why he can run around Russia cutting off peoples heads without thinking twice." Fabio tells me sternly. I lick my dry lips, grabbing the water he hands me.