S E V E N

Life Or Death

V A L E R I U S '   P O V :

"It feels so weird to finally be out of the house." Rosetta laughs, sitting down at the restaurant's dining table.

"I'm so glad you can finally have some alone time! I've missed you!"

"You come by the house everyday, Kat." They laugh simultaneously.

"That's beside the point!"

"So..," Rosetta pauses. "You two decide on a venue yet? I'm waiting for my maid of honor invitation." She gives Katerina a teasing smile with a wink.

At first, Rosetta had a hard time finding a liking towards me but as time passed, she's warmed up. She seems to be on board with me and Katerina getting married. I'm glad.

"Oh.. I don't know!" Katerina smiles giddily. I put a hand on her thigh, rubbing her skin softly. "Maybe the heart of Rome? Wait! Paris!?" Her head snaps to me. "What if we got married in Paris? The city of love! It's beautiful, V!"

I don't have the heart to tell her no. It's a requirement for the new Don to get married in his home country. To have a wedding with traditions that have been passed down through your family.

Weddings are a big deal in the mafia. France couldn't work.

"I don't know, Katerina." I answer her. "Italy is just as beautiful and full of love." My attempt to persuade her doesn't work.

"Come on, baby! I know it's not a money issue. Why don't we go big?" Her hand squeezes mine.

I hesitate for a moment before giving in. "We'll see."

Katerina smacks a kiss onto my lips and tells me how much she loves me.

It makes me feel good to hear her tell me that she loves me. It's good to hear the reassurance that I'm doing something right.

A waiter comes up to us and asks us our orders. Katerina orders two dishes because she can't decide. She'll just end up pushing both around.

"We'll be right back with your orders." The man walks off and conversation picks up again.

In the quiet of the restaurant, light conversation aside, it becomes loud when the doors are slammed open and gun shots fly out and into the air. Screams of terror ignite the start of commotion.

I throw the table down, ushering the two women to get behind it with me.

One assailant shouts for the people to bring all the money they have out to them. The second goes around shooting blindly, stealing what's left in the dead people's pockets.

What the hell is going on?

"V-Valerius..," Katerina has tears down her cheeks. She's petrified.

I realize how how different we are. I'm reminded that she's never encountered a situation like this before while I've been trained for this procedure hundreds of times.

Rosetta's on the phone crying, shots ringing up and into the air. She says goodbye to her husband, fearing that she'll die.

"Just.. just be quiet." I hush, unable to figure out how to comfort her.

The shots get closer and more of them start to roll in. Pops ring out.

I usher Katerina and Rosetta behind a wall, blocking them from getting shot. Both of them cry even though I tell them to not make a sound.

I pull my gun from the back of my pants.

"V..," Katerina's voice is wary. "V.. why do you have a gun?" She sounds so scared. Like I'm the monster here.