Chapter 1

Josephine smiled at Melissa, "so you're thinking June for the wedding?" She inspected the young girl's long blonde hair that rested over one shoulder as she sat across from her at the coffee shop. She was timid and soft spoken, not looking much older than 25.

Melissa nodded and smiled, "yeah. My fiancé has free time then so we can have the wedding, activities, honeymoon. You know."

"Yeah. Of course. Color scheme?"

Melissa pulled out a binder, handing it to Josephine. "Most your questions are probably in here."

Josephine laughed, "thanks. And the groom?"

Melissa sighed, "he's on his way. He's a little scatter brained." She smiled at Josephine, "are you married?"

Josephine scoffed, "no. I don't think I'll ever get married."

Melissa went to say something but she looked past Josephine, "there he is."

Josephine stood up as he leaned in to kiss Melissa on the cheek, her heart sinking to her stomach when he turned to face her. She didn't hear Melissa introduce him as he too only stood there in shock. She already knew who he was. She groaned, trying to keep her tears firmly where they belonged. She noticed he had his hand out to her. Was she supposed to pretend that she didn't know him? Could she even do that?

"Joey." Chris saw the blank expression on Josephine's face as she stared at him, not knowing what to say. He didn't know what to say. Anything he could say would be long past over due by now. He said her name again, "Joey..?"

Josephine sighed, looking at his hand as he dropped it, "Chris. You're getting married?"

Chris could only nod as Melissa watched their interaction.

"Congratulations." Josephine gathered her stuff off the table quickly, "I'm really sorry, I forgot I had another appointment I'm going to be late for. I have to go."

Chris sighed, watching her rush away, out of the coffee shop. "Fuck." He looked down as he felt Melissa grab his hand.

"You know her?"

"I did. I'm sure she's not the same girl I knew, not anymore. And that would be my fault." He looked down at the ground as he felt the familiar aching deep inside, "I don't want to talk about it."

Melissa only nodded as she sighed. "Do you want me to hire someone else?"

"That's up to her."

💔💔💔💔

"Why are we getting drunk?"

Josephine glared at her friend Aubrey as they sat at the bar, "because Chris Evans is getting married. And his barely fucking legal fiancé hired me to plan it."

"Fuck." Aubrey reached out her hand, squeezing Josephine's hand as she turned to look at her. She saw the darkness in her blue eyes, indicating she had been crying all afternoon. She sighed, "drinks are on me tonight hon."

Josephine nodded, "thanks."

Aubrey nodded as she watched her take three shots right away. "Okay honey. Let's not get too drunk too fast. We're too old to be holding each other's hair as we vomit into toilets. Don't forget we're in our thirties now."

Josephine glared at her. "You know who isn't in her thirties?"

Aubrey groaned, passing her another shot, "I know honey." She saw a man start to approach them but she shook her head, "I really wouldn't."

💔💔💔💔

Josephine sat on the dock at the harbor, looking out at the water the next morning when she heard someone come up behind her. She stood up to see Chris approaching her, "no. Leave me alone."

"I'm sorry Joey. We should talk."

She scoffed, laughing, "you want to talk? Now you want to talk? Well you're about 5 years too fucking late Christopher!"

He saw her breathing heavy, "you're going to have a panic attack, calm down." He reached out for her but she moved out of the way. He sighed, nodding as he took a step back away from her. "Just breathe, okay."

She felt her chest tightening, "what are you doing here?"

He shrugged, "I remembered this was your spot when you were upset. I figured you would be here, after yesterday."

"After meeting your child bride you mean? What could you possibly see in her?"

Chris didn't look at her, staring down at the ground as he shoved his hands into his pockets. "I need to settle down. It was suggested that I do so quickly with someone, agreeable."

"Agreeable. You're really something. I can't do this Chris." She turned away from him as she heard him standing in his spot.

"You look beautiful, Joey."

"No!" She turned to face him as she approached him, poking him in the chest, "you don't get to say that to me!" She brought her hands to her face as she began to breathe heavily, not being able to catch her breath, "I can't do this."

Chris brought his hands up to her arms, rubbing them slowly. He sighed, singing softly, "Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight. Lead me out on the moonlit floor. Lift your open hand. Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance. Silver moon's sparkling. So kiss me." He smiled as she looked up at him, her eyes dark as he saw tears streaking her cheeks, "it always calmed you down. It is our song."

She shook her head, "was Chris. It was our song." She brought her hands up to his chest, giving him one good shove as he landed into the water with a yell.

"Fuck! It's fucking cold as fuck Joey! Joey!" He watched her walk away, leaving him in the water, "fuck."