Chapter 13

"Chris. There's someone here to see you."

Chris looked up to see his assistant Josh to enter his trailer, "yeah. Okay. Who is it?"

Josh stepped out of the way to let Melissa enter the trailer.

"Melissa, what are you doing here?"

She smiled as she waited for Josh to leave them alone in the trailer, "it's Valentine's Day Chris."

He sighed, "I know. Did you come down here to celebrate with me?" He chuckled as she shook her head.

"No. But I do have something for you."

He nodded as he watched her pull off her engagement ring. He sighed as she handed it to him.

"I'm sorry Chris."

He shrugged, "don't be. You deserve better. I'm sorry Melissa. Really. I've been a huge dick and I'm so sorry."

She nodded, "well thank you for saying that."

"I never should have sung that song at New Year's." He sighed, "I'm sorry." He pulled her to him as he felt her rest her head on his chest, "thank you."

She smiled, pulling away, "thank me by fixing it with Joey. Grovel. Beg. Sell your fucking kidney Chris. But fix it."

Chris laughed, "I will. I promise. Thank you Melissa." He saw her smile before she left. He sighed, tossing the ring into his suit case before looking at his phone.

❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

Josephine sighed as she answered the door to find a delivery guy with a vase of peonies. She accepted them as the man smiled, handing her a bag as well.

"Happy Valentine's Day!"

"Thank you." She took the flowers inside, setting them on the counter before sitting at the table with the bag. She pulled out the envelope that was on top first, opening it to find a card with writing on the left side. She sighed, reading it.

Joey-
I know you said I need to find new words.
I'm just not sure there will ever be the right words. The right words to apologize. The right words to explain how much I love you.
I meant what I said before about us being fate. But sometimes fate comes at the wrong time and I took it for granted. And I took you for granted. And for that I will never forgive myself. Because there is no me without you Josephine.

'Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.'
-Marcus Aurelius

'In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.'
-Maya Angelou

Even if it takes me the rest of my life, I will earn your forgiveness. I will earn my place back into your heart. For that is my fate.

My heart is yours,
Chris

She placed the card back into the envelope, pulling out her favorite chocolate truffles, making her chuckle as she set them on the table. She pulled out a small box, pushing the bag out of the way as she set the box in front of her, not wanting to open it. She opened it, seeing it was what she thought it was before closing it, pushing it away from her. She heard her phone buzzing.

Chris
Happy Valentine's Day ❤️

Josephine
Thank you
I enjoyed your card ❤️‍🩹
Why the ring?

Chris
I'm hoping you'll eventually put it back on
I meant what I said
I plan on spending the rest of my life fixing this

Josephine
What about Melissa?

She sighed when she saw a FaceTime from him. She answered, "Chris."

'Shh. Let me speak. She just left here. We aren't together anymore. I had planned on talking to her when I got back home. But she took it easy on me. Much easier than I deserved.'

"I'm sorry Chris."

He laughed, 'don't be love. She told me that I needed to fix it with you. And that's what I intend to do.'

Josephine nodded, "we'll talk when you get back. Some things need to be said and dealt with in person Chris. You kept my ring all this time?"

'Of course I did. I kept it as a reminder of what an idiot I was. Because I was, I am. I'm sorry.'

"I'm tired of hearing you say I'm sorry Chris."

'I know. I never should have ran away. I should have stayed and fought for you. Fought for us. I was a coward.'

"You were." She sighed, "look Chris. I want to let you in. You have no idea how badly I want that. But I don't know if I can. So much has happened. Let's just talk when you get back."

Chris nodded, 'yeah. Okay. I love you Joey.'

She hesitated, "I love you too Chris. Thank you for the flowers and the candy. I wish you didn't know me as well as you do."

He laughed, 'Happy Valentine's Day Josephine.' She saw him look up from the screen, 'I have to go. I'll text you later?'

She nodded, "sure. Goodbye." She looked at her phone to see a message from Chris with a link to a song.

🎵 I don't care how long it takes,
I will atone for my mistakes,
I will hold your heart when it breaks,
And give it back to you,
I'll give it back to you.
Out of everyone,
I should have known how,
Knots can come undone,
I should grown but,
I was on the run,
And the walls were crumbling,
And I was tumbling.
Should have just fell down,
Instead of making,
Such a hole in the ground,
There's no mistaking,
I will wear the crown,
I'm the lord and master,
Of this disaster.
I don't care how long it takes,
I will atone for my mistakes,
I will hold your heart when it breaks,
And give it back to you,
I'll give it back to you.
Anyone can walk on water,
Just before they drown,
Anyone can talk but they got
Their story upside-down.
Dust coats the floor,
With every move we,
Seem to find more.
I'm out to prove that,
What we're working for,
Is worth defending,
And all this mending.
I don't care how long it takes,
I will atone for my mistakes,
I will hold your heart when it breaks,
And give it back to you,
I'll give it back to you.
I'll give it back to you,
I'll give it back to you.🎵