Chapter 8

Josephine answered the door to Kyle standing in front of her in black jeans and a green button down that matched his eyes tucked neatly in the band, "Kyle. Hi."

He smiled and nodded, holding his hand out to her, "Josephine, it's nice to meet you. Scott said you were beautiful."

She chuckled as he kissed the back of her hand, "are you agreeing, or...?"

Kyle laughed, "yes ma'am. I'm sorry. Sometimes when friends set you up, they have a tendency of over inflating the traits. But he was not wrong, you're gorgeous."

She nodded, "better."

He shook his head, "what about me? You're the only one that gets the confidence boost?"

She giggled, resting her hand on his chest, "Scott said you were hot."

He nodded, "and?"

She shrugged, "meh. Do you know what you're doing Kyle? You're okay with this?"

He sighed, "Scott said you were his brother's ex and that he's a dick and deserves to be jealous of you having hot arm candy at this party. I'm to act as if we're dating."

She laughed, nodding, "okay then." She placed a hand at the nape of his neck, kissing him as she felt him grip her waist, moving his hands to her back as he pulled her closer to him. She pulled away, out of breath, "you are hot."

He laughed, "what was that for?"

She shrugged, "so that if you kiss me later, it doesn't seem as if it's our first kiss."

He nodded, "right."

She grabbed his hand, "come on, we'll discuss our relationship on the way to the party."

💔💔💔💔

She stood outside the door with Kyle, gripping onto his hand.

He looked at her, "hey. It'll be okay. I promise I won't leave your side unless you tell me to."

She nodded, "thanks Kyle." She leaned up to kiss him when she heard the door open.

Chris groaned, seeing Josephine kissing another man.

She smiled, "oh. Chris. I hope it's okay I'm here. Melissa and Scott both invited me." She motioned to Kyle, "this is Kyle."

He only nodded, moving out of the way for them to enter. He took Josephine's coat, not looking her in the eyes as he watched her disappear with Kyle, holding his hand.

She noticed a few people stopping to look at her as she gripped Kyle's hand tighter.

Scott came up to her, "it's okay sweetie. Come on, let's get you a drink."

She nodded, following Scott and Kyle into the kitchen. She looked at Scott, "I don't think I can do this Scott."

"Of course you can."

Kyle sighed, bringing his hand up to her cheek, seeing her eyes welling with tears already, "you say the word and I take you home. We can order Chinese food and watch movies until midnight. Just you and me."

Josephine smiled, "thank you Kyle." They took their drinks back into the sitting room, approached by Melissa.

She hugged Josephine awkwardly, "thanks for coming."

Josephine only nodded and smiled, "sure."

Melissa grabbed Chris's hand, "will you play something?"

Chris shook his head, "I don't think so."

"Please? For me."

He sighed, looking from Melissa to Josephine as he sat at the piano. "Fine."

Scott groaned as he heard the beginning of the song. He leaned over to Chris, quietly, "not that song."

Chris shrugged, "I'll play what I want Scott."

Josephine looked up at Scott to see the apologetic look on his face as she recognized the song. She looked at Melissa who was smiling.

🎵 Kiss me
Out of the bearded barley
Nightly
Beside the green, green grass
Swing, swing
Swing the spinning step
I wear those shoes and
You will wear that dress
So kiss me
Beneath the milky twilight
Lead me
Out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band
And make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me
Kiss me
Down by the broken tree house
Swing, swing
Upon it's hanging tire
Bring, bring
Bring your flowered hat
We'll take the trail marked
On your father's map
Oh kiss me
Beneath the milky twilight
Lead me
Out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band
And make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me
So kiss me
Kiss me
Beneath the milky twilight
Lead me
Out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band
And make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
Oh kiss me
Beneath the milky twilight
Lead me
Out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band
And make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me🎵

She looked at Melissa and only shook her head before rushing away into an empty bedroom. She heard Kyle and Scott following her.

Scott groaned, "I'm sorry. I tried to make him not do that song. What is he doing?!"

Melissa crossed her arms, glaring at Chris, "was that your song? Your song with her?"

He shrugged, standing up.

She grabbed his arm, making him turn to face her as he started to walk away, "no. Why do you insist on embarrassing me? I don't know why you treat me like this."

He leaned towards her, "the only one being embarrassing here is you." He looked up to see Josephine standing with Scott and Kyle. "And you? Have you chosen her side?"

Scott scoffed, "I should have a long time ago."

Josephine let go of Kyle's hand, approaching Chris as she pushed him, "what is the matter with you? Why are you acting as if you're the one that should be upset. As if I was the one that left you the night before our wedding."

"What?"

She looked at Melissa, "oh? He didn't tell you?" She looked back at Chris as he groaned, "yes. All that was left was a vase of peonies and a letter. A fucking letter!"

He looked down at the ground, "Joey, not now."

"Yes now! No good explanation! You were just gone! You left me here all alone and you disappeared for months! I lost your child!" She heard gasps from the people around them, "tell me why!"

"Because I cheated on you, okay!"