Chapter 9

"What?" The room was silent as Josephine felt her heart in her stomach.

Chris groaned, staring at the ground. "I.. I got drunk at the bachelor party and I woke up with a girl in my bed. I don't remember anything." He looked back up at her, "I couldn't face you. I couldn't look at you, knowing what I did!"

"So you just ran?!" She looked at Scott, "did you know?"

She saw him shake his head as Chris answered for him, "he didn't know. No one did. But now everyone does. So thank you for that."

Josephine wasted no time, balling her hand into a fist before punching him in the nose. "I quit!"

Chris grunted, stumbling backward as there were a few snickers around the room mixed with whispers and gasps.

She looked at Kyle, "take me home please?"

Kyle nodded, "yeah. Of course I will." He grabbed her hand, leading her out as Scott followed them to the car.

Scott helped her into the car, "I'll come see you tomorrow."

She only nodded as he closed door. She felt Kyle grab her hand as he drove.

💔💔💔💔

Josephine turned to Kyle as she entered her apartment. "I'm not hungry. But will you stay with me. I don't want to be alone."

"Of course I can." He took off his shoes as he watched her go into her bedroom. He sat on the couch, waiting for her to return in pajamas. He pointed to the gift box on the shelf, "why is there a present up there?"

She groaned, looking at the box. "It was from Chris. He left it for me on Christmas. It's an ornament he gave me when we were together for our first Christmas." She sighed, "will you get rid of it for me?"

He nodded, "yeah. I'll take it with me when I go."

"Thank you Kyle. I don't know why you're being so nice to me. I assume you feel sorry for me."

He sighed, "I mean, I do feel bad for you. Of course I do. But I don't feel sorry for you." He placed a pillow on his lap, "just lay down love." He saw her nod as she rested her head in his lap. He covered her up with a blanket as he carded his fingers through her hair. He rested his head back on the couch as he listened to her cry quietly.

💔💔💔💔

"What the fuck!" Josephine leapt to her feet as Chris entered her office a few days later. "I told Melissa to come."

He nodded, "I know. I told her that I wanted to."

She shook her head, holding out an envelope to him. "All the money you paid me."

"Keep it. Please."

She shoved it at him, "I don't want your money! Or anything to do with you at all! You're a coward and I can't stand looking at you."

He shoved the envelope in his pocket, "I'm sorry Joey."

She watched his eyes wet, welling with tears, "I don't need your apologies Chris. And I don't want them. Why didn't you come to me? Talk to me?"

He shrugged, "like I said. I could barely look at myself, let alone you. Would it have mattered?"

"Yes! We could have talked about it. I would have been angry! But we could have worked it out. I loved you! Fuck Chris!"

He turned around when there was a knock on the door to see Kyle peek his head in.

"Kyle." Josephine smiled seeing him, "what are you doing here?"

He stepped fully into the office in front of Chris, "I'm sorry. I know we don't have plans but I thought I'd come by and see if I could take you to lunch."

She nodded, "I would love that Kyle. Thank you. Chris was just leaving." She watched Chris turn away, "Chris wait. I'd like you to go back to pretending like I don't exist like you have for the last 5 years."

Kyle stepped out of the way as they watched Chris storm away. "Good time?"

She laughed, grabbing her coat, "the best time. Thank you."

💔****Flashback - 5 years ago****💔

Chris groaned, waking up as light invaded his eyes. He clutched his head in his hand, the pounding echoing in his eardrums. He sat up, hanging his feet off the side of the bed. He lifted his head up as he heard snoring. He looked behind him, seeing a half naked woman in his bed, making him leap off the bed. "The fuck." He began to pace, trying to remember the night before. He remembered going out, and drinking. He did not remember any women though. "Fuck." He got dressed quickly before leaving the hotel room.

He stood in his living room, pacing as he thought of Josephine. He could already picture the look on her face when he told her what he did. More than two years, he had loved no one else; looked at no one else.

Scott received a message from Chris telling him to meet him at his house. He let himself in, finding the house empty. There were two envelopes leaning against a vase of peonies, one with his name and one with Josephine's. He groaned, picking up his own.

Scott
I know you're going to hate me for asking you to do this, but please give this envelope and flowers to Josephine. I messed up and I had to leave. I can't marry her.
Please do this for me. I'm sorry.
- Chris

Scott pulled out his phone, calling Chris, it going straight to voicemail over and over again. "Fuck!"

💔****End of flashback****💔