Chapter 14

Josephine looked up as Chris entered her office a few weeks later, "you're back."

He smiled and nodded, "yeah. I got done sooner than I thought. You're my first stop."

She stood up with him as she let him wrap her in a hug.

He smiled as she pulled away. He brought his hand up to her cheek, "I missed you. Can I see you later? Make you dinner? Talk?"

She sighed, "I don't know Chris..."

"Please Joey." He leaned down, hovering over her lips to give her a chance to push him away before making contact. He smiled as she took a step towards him, running her hand to his hair to keep his lips on hers. He felt just the tip of her tongue teasing his before she pulled away. He groaned, "mean."

She laughed, leaning back against her desk, "I know." She looked up as one of her clients came into the office. "Ethan. Hi."

He smiled, looking from Chris to her. He handed her a paper, "here's the guest list you requested for my parents party."

She grinned, "thanks! I'll get the invitations sent out tomorrow. And we'll sit down next week for any last minute things." She saw him hesitate as he smiled.

"Sure. Thanks Joey."

Chris crossed his arms as he watched Ethan leave.

Josephine laughed, "jealous?"

He sighed, "always. You're mine."

She shook her head, "I was yours. I'm not anymore Chris."

He rolled his eyes, "and how do I change that Jo. Please."

She sighed, looking at him, "I'll come over later so we can talk."

He grinned, "you will?"

"Yes. Now get out Christopher."

He leaned down towards her ear, "I love when you call me Christopher."

She giggled as she hit him in the chest, "get out!"

❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

Josephine sighed as she knocked on Chris's door before letting herself in. She knelt down in front of Dodger as she pet him, "hey Dodge."

"Are you going to pet me?"

She laughed, "Chris. Stop." She accepted his hand to help her to her feet as she followed him into the kitchen. "I don't even know why I'm here to be honest."

He sighed, motioning for her to sit at the table, "because you still love me? Because I still love you. And with that, hopefully we can fix this?"

She shook her head, "I don't know if I can." She watched him kneel in front of her as she placed her arms around his neck.

"We have to try. Please Joey. I love you. Let me grovel." He smiled at her laugh before he kissed her. He heard her moan as his tongue found hers this time as he gripped her waist. He sighed, pulling away, "you can't tell me you don't still feel that."

She groaned as he stood up, "of course I do." She stood up from the table, "but you left me Chris!"

He nodded, leaning back against the counter as he watched her pace, "I know."

"And you cheated! I don't know which is worse! You cheated and you left me here to deal with the wedding stuff and losing the baby all by myself! You were not just the love of my life, but one of my best friends. And when I needed you, you weren't here!"

He saw her crying as he felt his own eyes starting to well with tears. "I know." He heard her breathing too fast as he guided her to the couch of the tv room off the kitchen. He sat on the coffee table across from her. "I know Joey. But I'm here now. Tell me how to fix it. Please."

She looked up at him as she saw tears streaking his cheeks. She lowered her voice, "I don't know if you can."

He nodded, "I can. Because I have to Joey. Because I can't live in this life without you."

She groaned as he rested his forehead against hers. "I know. Me too."

"What if I hadn't cheated? I don't remember sleeping with her. What if I passed out in the wrong bed? Or she did."

"Ugh!" She stood up to move away from him. "Then all of this was pointless!"

He stood up, "what do you mean?"

"I mean. If you didn't cheat, then you left me for nothing! And I lost our baby for nothing! That makes you an even bigger fucking idiot Chris!"

He groaned, "I don't know Josephine."

She shook her head, "we should have a four year old running around here! And we don't!" She pushed him in his chest, "and it's all your fault!"

He nodded, feeling her struggle against him, sobbing as he wrapped his arms around her, falling to the ground with her. "I know. I know." He held her crying for a while until her heard her finally calm down. He pulled back to look at her, trying to dry her face with his hands. "I know." He cupped her face in his hands, "I'm sorry."

She nodded, "I know you are. But I hate you Chris."

He sighed, "no you don't. You just haven't been able to properly mourn because I wasn't here for you. But I'm here for you now. And I'm not going anywhere ever again. I promise Joey. So hit me, yell at me. Cry. Whatever you need to do. I'm not leaving you." He heard her sobbing some more as she rested her head against his chest.