Chapter 10

"Thanks for lunch Kyle." Josephine led Kyle back to her office, taking off her coat, hanging it up behind the door.

"Yeah. Of course Joey. Seems I arrived at a good time."

She chuckled, sitting back at her desk, "you did, actually. So thanks for that as well. You're welcomed to come see me here whenever you like."

He smiled, taking a seat across from her. "Okay. I'll take you up on that. Speaking of, I was hoping I could see you again? Maybe a real, proper date?"

She shrugged, "well we've already surpassed the awkward first kiss, and you've listened to me cry all night. Seems we're doing things a little backwards Kyle." She came out from behind her desk, leaning back against it in front of him as she crossed her arms.

He laughed, standing up in front of her. He leaned on his hands on the desk on either side of her as she brought her arms up around his neck, "and I'm still here. Can I kiss you now?"

She nodded, "I wish you would." She heard him chuckle as he kissed her softly at first before gripping her waist as he pulled her to him, kissing her passionately, only breaking apart when there was a knock on the door. She looked up to see Scott leaning against the doorframe.

"You should really shut your door if you're going to make out in your office."

She rolled her eyes as Kyle pulled away, "why don't you come over tonight and I can make you dinner?"

Kyle nodded, "sounds good. I'll see you later."

She smiled as he kissed her cheek before leaving. "Scott. What can I do for you?"

He shrugged, plopping in the chair as she sat back at her desk, "I came to check on you is all. How are you?"

"You mean, finding out that the reason that Chris left me was because he cheated on me? I'm great!"

He sighed, "I know. You don't actually believe that do you?"

"What do you mean Scott? He said so himself."

He shrugged, "he also said he didn't remember. Now I'm not here to defend him, because he's been the biggest idiot. But he would never cheat on you. He loved you. He loves you. He had trouble with settling down with women before and he may have fooled around here and there but he was always completely different with you."

She shook her head, "I don't know what you're saying Scott. Are you saying he lied?"

He sighed, "I don't really know. I don't think he's lying. I think he isn't sure and assumed he cheated."

"Whatever, cheated or not, he still left me the night before we were supposed to get married. And then disappeared for months."

"I know." He groaned, "I'm just not ready to give up."

She laughed, "not ready to give up? You set me up with Kyle. And Chris is getting married to someone else. If ever there was a time to give up, it would be now Scott."

He sighed, standing up, "I guess so. I have to go. I'll see you soon." He turned back to her from the door, "I love you Jo. I'm really sorry."

"Me too Scott."

💔💔💔💔

"So do you have any other family in the area?"

Josephine nodded at Kyle as she poured him more wine, "I have an older brother who is married with an 8 year old son. My mother died a while ago."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

She shrugged, "she was sick for a while. What about you?"

He nodded, "I have a younger brother and sister, twins." He chuckled, "I don't even know how old you are."

Josephine giggled, "I'm 33. My birthday is actually in a few weeks. February 10."

He smiled, "oh yeah? Right before Valentine's Day?"

She groaned, "yes. I hate Valentine's Day."

Kyle sighed, "I can only guess why."

"I'm sorry Kyle. I should probably forget about everything and move on already I guess."

He smiled, leaning towards her, "it's okay. I understand. What happened on Valentine's Day?"

Josephine sighed, "Chris proposed then. Or actually, he kept me awake until midnight so he could propose on the 15th. He said it was less cliché but that he still got to be romantic on Valentine's Day."

He watched her smile, looking down at the table. "You still love him?"

She shrugged, looking up at him, "you want honesty?"

"Of course I do."

She sighed, "of course I still love him. He's the only man I've ever loved. I don't think it's possible to ever stop loving anyone. You just realize that you aren't right for someone and learn to live without them."

He rested his hand on hers, "and have you? Have you learned to live without him?"

She groaned, "I'm trying. I'm sorry."

He shrugged, leaning back in his chair, "I know you are. It's fine. He was a big part of your life."

💔💔💔💔

Josephine giggled as she felt Kyle kissing her back. She rolled over to face him, opening her eyes to see him smiling at her, "morning."

"Good morning beautiful." He smiled as he pinned her under him, kissing her.

She groaned when there was a knock on the door. "Let me see who it is." She stood up from the bed, putting on Kyle's shirt and some shorts. She heard another knock on the door, "I'm coming!" She opened the door, surprised to find Chris standing in front of her with two cups of coffee, "what are you doing here?"

He looked past Josephine to see Kyle coming out of her room, buttoning his pants with no shirt. "Oh. I wanted to see if we could talk. But, I see it's a bad time." He handed her both cups of coffee, "for you and your friend. I'm sorry."

She watched him rush away before she could say anything. She closed the door, handing the coffee to Kyle as he laughed, "I'm sorry."

He shrugged, "it's fine. I got coffee."

She laughed, "and me."

He grinned, grabbing her waist with one hand, "I do."