Chapter 12

Josephine sighed as she watched her assistant, Beth enter her office with a vase of peonies.

"These were left for you. Do you want me to throw them away?"

"No. It's my birthday, I'll let it go today." Beth chuckled, setting the vase on the edge of her desk before leaving. She sighed, grabbing the card, already knowing who they were from.

My heart is yours
- CRE

She rolled her eyes, "need to get some new material Evans." She placed the card in her purse, looking at the flowers, thinking about the first time he bought peonies for her.

❤️‍🩹****Flashback - 8 years ago****❤️‍🩹

"What about you Josephine? What are your favorite flowers. There's too many to choose from."

Josephine chuckled, looking from Carly, to her husband and then to Chris who insisted on tagging along while they looked at flowers. She looked back at Carly, "my favorite are pink peonies. They were my mom's favorite too."

"Were?" Chris watched her look down at her clipboard.

"Yeah. She died two years ago."

He grabbed her hand, "I'm sorry Joey."

She pulled her hand away, clearing her throat, "I'm fine. Thank you Chris."

A few days later Josephine laughed as she watched Chris enter her office with a vase of pink peonies. "Did you know today was my birthday?"

He smiled, "I did not. But now I won't forget. So thank you."

She laughed, "well thank you Chris."

He set them on her desk, "you're welcome. Happy birthday Josephine."

She stood up, leaning against her desk, "you do have some sort of dumb luck, don't you?"

He shrugged, leaning towards her, "or maybe it's fate."

She laughed, "I don't believe in fate Evans. I believe in choices."

"Oh, come on! Here you are, set in my path." He chuckled, "and in a few more months I can finally kiss you."

She shook her head, "you're still insistent on that? I would have thought you would move on by now."

He grinned, "nope. I can't. Because whatever is going on here is fate." He chuckled, kissing her on the cheek, "happy birthday love. I'll see you later."

❤️‍🩹****End of Flashback****❤️‍🩹

Josephine walked into the coffee shop, hearing someone behind her.

"Can I buy your coffee for you? And maybe talk?"

She groaned, turning to see Melissa behind her, "sure." Once they had their coffees, they sat down and Melissa sighed.

"I'm sorry about New Years."

Josephine laughed, "you're kidding right? You have nothing to be sorry for. It was all Chris. I never should have even gone."

She nodded, "I didn't know the extent of what went on between you. I shouldn't have asked for your help. I'm sorry."

Josephine sighed, "I shouldn't have agreed. So we're both dumb." She smiled at Melissa laughing, "Chris is an idiot. And he shouldn't be treating you like he does. That isn't the Chris I know."

Melissa nodded her agreement. "Sometimes. And I don't think we know the same Chris."

"He should never have played that song at the party. I'm sorry Melissa." She watched her shrug, "besides him being Chris Evans, why are you with him? It's obvious he doesn't love you. Do you love him?"

She sighed, shrugging, "I don't know."

Josephine scoffed, "you would know if you were. Believe me. You're young. You deserve better. You deserve someone who can treat you like.."

"Like the way Chris treats you? Or treated you." She sighed as she interrupted Josephine.

"Yes. He has his faults, but he never once made me feel like he didn't love me or that I wasn't good enough for him." Josephine leaned back in her chair, "you deserve to find someone like that. Someone like the Chris I knew."

Melissa nodded, "I know I do."

"Then leave him. And this doesn't come from someone that wants him, because I'm still not even sure I could ever forgive him yet. This comes from someone with more experience than you and from someone who has been truly loved. Everyone deserves that."

"Thank you Joey. You've been nice to me even after everything he did. I'm not sure I would have been as nice to me as you have been."

Josephine chuckled, "yeah well, Chris is the one that deserves the anger, not you."

❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

Josephine laid in bed for a while before finally texting Chris.

Thank you for the flowers
'My heart is yours'
You need new material

Chris
LOL
I'll work on that then
Happy birthday love

Thank you Chris
Stop calling me love

Chris
Ok
I miss you

Why don't we talk when you get back
I'm still not sure I can ever forgive you

Chris
I know 😞
I know I don't deserve it
I'd like to talk when I get back
I'm sorry

Ugh
I need you to stop apologizing
It's starting to lose it's meaning
Actions Chris
Actions

Chris
Okay
I love you

Me too

Chris
Goodnight

Night